Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowhunting moose?

Re: Bowhunting moose?

If you can, get a decoy. I have used the Montana Cow Moose decoy while guiding and had some success.

Like others have said, find an area that allows you to be tight to the bush but gives you shooting lanes. The bull will see the decoy and focus on it, allowing you to set up and possible get a shot.

You will need to be cow calling and playing the wind.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Call lots..every 15 minutes by your watch..and set up some tampons with moose pee soaked they will catch a bulls attention from surprising distances and hold him in an area for a bit...at least overnight...deal with his ears. .calling...with his smell..cow pee and a decoy for his sight..and Bobs your uncle..
    Cheers
    Steven

Go for it! Took mine at 64 yards last year. Double lunged and passed through the opposite side 6 inches. Moose are easier than deer I think. More curious and less spooky most of the time.

Here was the exit hole

Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    magnums can easily turn your brain to mush,, and there is much evidence of that on the internet !

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry14 View Post
    I've snagged my first moose draw this year as well and was wondering the same thing. It would be my first bow kill and first moose. I am quite tempted to give it a try.
    Im in the same boat as you! Got my first moose draw after applying for 4 years, got the draw in 7-03 and a grizz too. What region did you get?
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

My partners and I have two tags for moose and I also won a grizzly tag in the same region, 7-26. If the gods favor us then ideally will take the first one with a rifle and then with full freezers, try for the second one with a bow. To me a moose represents too much meat to pass on a legal animal especially if I have a bow in hand.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

The nice part was the sight window at 40 yards all the pins where in the kill zone . I found the bull expired faster than most of the deer and bears I have bow killed .

[IMG][/I

MG] Yuppers , call em in . Cheers

PS: Bow used Chek-mate TD2 Recurve .
    Last edited by greybark; 07-07-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Nice one down wind and HS Greybark that's nice bull for stick and string. I've made a deal with the ol' boys that as soon as there is meat hanging in camp I'm switching to the bow. We have 4 tags to fill and I am quite serious about filling mine with the bow. It's my favourite way to hunt by far.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

Nice bull there Greybark...what was your range in taking him with that recurve?? What's your draw weight?? I'm thinking of getting a recurve eventually..

Quote Originally Posted by Lozzie View Post
    Nice one down wind and HS Greybark that's nice bull for stick and string. I've made a deal with the ol' boys that as soon as there is meat hanging in camp I'm switching to the bow. We have 4 tags to fill and I am quite serious about filling mine with the bow. It's my favourite way to hunt by far.
    Hey Lozzie , I enjoyed lots of years rifle hunting then was ready for something new and picked up a Bow . It`s the Hunt and all that's associated with it that we enjoy and what we use is just what we carry .
    Get involved and have fun with those "old boys " as time has a habit of moveing on . My hunts are very limited now and most occur on the 3-D trail where my fellow archers patiently feign that they listioning to the endless reruns . LOL
    As for getting meat on the pole I certainly agree with that , but as one of my bud says " why kill something and ruin a good hunt". LOL .
    Good luck to you and your crew , the secret to bowhunting is - commitment- plain and simple .
    Cheers
    Last edited by greybark; 07-11-2016 at 06:36 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC