Quote Originally Posted by greybark View Post
OK , can`t help it ! There is a story behind this hunt and it`s not about the Moose .
On the Alaska Hwy early in the next morning heading for home my hunting partner suggested stopping in for breakfast at a small typical Highway eatery. The new owner in his twenties put on the coffee and chatted with us , asking " did you get a Moose " ? Curtis M told him yes , he got one and with a recurve bow ! The owner all excited wanted to see the bow , so out we went to the truck and trailer . He was not interested in the Bull Moose but focused on the bow . The bow in question was a second hand basic Chek-mate with black limbs and actionwood ( fancy name for plywood) riser and very plain . With the Bow firmly in his hands he insisted that I sell it to him , which I did for what I payed for it and threw in some arrows .
Now back in the restaurant and settled in our breakfast the young owner explains he is a bit short on cash and just take our time with a free meal . As customers came and went the pile of cash beside the till grew until he rushed over required amount . LOL
I often wonder how the young man made out with his restaurant and where the "Heck" that bow is now ? LOL
Cheers
Had a similar experience with a hunting knife back in the early 70's. I was on a bus heading for a summer job in United Keno Hill Mines in the Yukon. We were busing to the small town of Mayo some 30 miles short of the mining camp. A younger than I native fellow ( back then he called himself Indian) started up a conversation with me and as we had a few hours to kill we got around to hunting which he seemed to know quite a bit about..one thing led to another and us 2 young guys compared knives...I had a Puma white hunter and he fell in love with it....wouldn't put it down and begged me to sell it to him....I sold it for what it cost and he was happy...When I got back to Victoria I found the cost had doubled on this knife and was ticked that I had let it go so cheap. I have only once in a while wondered whatever happened to that kid and the knife............oh...I use a Russell now...