Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caribou region 6-20A LEH

Re: Caribou region 6-20A LEH

Quote Originally Posted by nolimits View Post
    Are you guys going up Stikine River? If so how far can you get by boat?
    yes we are putting in at the bridge on the stikine at hwy37. the stikine is pretty big up to the confluence of the spatsizi(150ish km).the spatsizi gets pretty twisty from there so the plan is flexible from there in.
    any one else have any feed back? I'm leaving tomorrow morning!

There are caribou on the plateaus either side of the Spatsizi River near Hyland Post ... should be a horse trail going both ways. Hyland Post is private land so you will need to work around that though.

I would love to do a caribou hunt there next year. I was planning on flying to coldfish and hunting west of there late August. I don't know the area aside from studying what I can on google earth. Is there other better options? Does anyone know where I could find a detailed map of the area with the landmarks? Any help would be appreciated

Been there before above Cold Fish lake. Fly out of Tatogga lake to Cold Fish, hike right up the hill behind the cabins at the west end. On top its a large flat area and Caribou come and go anytime and often. No water except a few seeps on the hill sides. End of September is probably best for better bulls. Contact Tatogga Resort to get flight info. Its close so fairly inexpensive. A bull boned out can be carried in two trips by two men including the antlers and cape. From above the lake, its all down hill with the pack loads in a few hours. Take a spinning rod too!

Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear!

Ok time for a bump on this thread. Updates success stories? pictures? I've got a sheep draw 620A was thinking cold fish and hike up? any other suggestions? I've heard Cartmel is busy and not very good for sheep but excellent for goat? also heard that the pilots out of Tatogga wont fly you into bug lake something about guiding outfits agreement any truth to that? also planning to go sept 15-26

Hmmm we got shut out of bug lake.grrrrr..cartmel"l has some truly amazing goats..
    I sent a pm.
    Congrads
    Srupp

Bug lake is not very far from coldfish at all, 1-2 hour hike on good horse trail. Why you would fly in there when you could fly into coldfish where there are cabins for basecamp escapes me.