Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training collars?

Re: Training collars?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Good luck with it! I have a friend that has the same problem...his dog is all but deaf, so he uses
    the vibrator collar with good results. I've watched him, and when he activates it, his dog immediately
    returns.
    I had a old female lab that lasted till she was 16 and she retired from hunting at 12 and I thought well she doesn't need the collar anymore so I stopped using it. Well she'd be out in the yard snooping around and I noticed that she was getting deaf and her eyesight was failing and I thought you know I'm going to try that collar on her again, ya know her hearing and eyesight suddenly got a lot better. LOL,

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    I had a old female lab that lasted till she was 16 and she retired from hunting at 12 and I thought well she doesn't need the collar anymore so I stopped using it. Well she'd be out in the yard snooping around and I noticed that she was getting deaf and her eyesight was failing and I thought you know I'm going to try that collar on her again, ya know her hearing and eyesight suddenly got a lot better. LOL,
    Well, we've been noticing that she reacts far less now to things like fireworks, gun shots and even the "come, supper time" sounds so we're pretty sure it's hearing, not attitude related.
    Having said that, many years ago one of the trainers said "Molly's ears are there for decoration only."

These have their place, but, after 60+ years of being owned by dogs, I do not support their use except by highly experienced trainers. I have never used one and tomorrow, is the 30th anniversary of my life with Champion Rottweilers, with NO problems I have not been able to deal with.

I have taken "bringbacks", big, powerful males that others have purchased and could not cope with, as with my current boy, "Trojan's Diamond in the Ruff" and he is stable, happy and WILL NOT bite the smaller dogs who challenge and harass him.

It takes time, energy, consistent discipline and much love and dogs do well under these circumstances.

Rotties, are tough to train and require very strict control, but, they are worth it and give back in enormous amounts. My gorgeous Can. Champ bitch, "Quean Lily Loveliface" died of a ruptured blood vessel at age 8 1/2 on May 31 and my big guy is still mourning her as they were "lovers" from Oct. 2009.

Nothing on Earth is as totally fine as Rottweilers.

I have a Tritronics that I have used on all three of my GSPs. I can train two dogs with it at once. Only had to use it for a month. It just sits and collects dust. My first Gsp wouldn't come back when called. Used the collar a couple of times. And then I never had to use it afterwards. The lady I gotten the dog from was furious that I was using it. That's to bad. I latter learned that her GSP was hit by a train and died. I didn't come back when she called it. So to each his own on the collars. If your not sure how to use one. Then go get some professional advise. As you can ruin your dog also.

E-Collars are for the experienced. If your not experienced it can be a sure fire way to ruin your hunting dog. Educate yourself to the comings and goings of an E-Collar well beyond purchasing one. Educate yourself to what is needed to settle down and take control of your GSP prior to this collar. Consistent, well thought out training by you could be the course of action to take for a young rambunctious pup wanting to explore the world while turning a tin ear to you. If the problem is at your end of the leash,it would be far better to educate yourself than to turn on the volts. I have always felt that prior to maybe needing anything this drastic I will try to advance myself and become the dogs personal human e-collar that's needed to attain my goals.
    ROD
    Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing

Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Group Canada

(Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend)

Totally agree with the need for expert training with E collars, certainly something I would never attempt.
    In our situation we had a professional trainer instruct us on the use of the "beep" and citronella collars but when I asked her about the use of the "E" collars she said that she was not an expert on their use so would not instruct us on them. She had absolutely no problems with their use, only that she felt she was not competent in their use. One of the rare times we've had a trainer suggest that they were not an "expert" in all dog manners.
    We chose to get an E collar for our old girl simply because of the loss of hearing problem and have no intention of using the "shock" mode. The available "beep" and citronella collars are simply not adequate due to range, quality, and such.

There's a good article in the new B.C. OUTDOORS about E collar's, it's a good read. If your thinking about getting one this might help you out a bit it's all about E collars and hunting dog's.

If I'm not mistaken the tri-tronics collars come with a rather thourough training dvd as well. Obviously they are not in the business of torturing dogs, but helping promote canine obsediance. I've actually used my tri-tronics on friends dogs to correct certain behaviours and after a few corrections the dogs often respond with the desired behaviour just because the collar is around their neck.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

I know a fellow that trains dogs for hunting and also just pets for being family dog and won't train them unless the dogs owners agree that the dog will be trained with a collar. Because when people are out exercising their family pet say in a off leash park or in a open field or river bank and the owner whistle in the dog it knows it's time to go and not mess around. It takes two second's for a dog to break and takeoff across a road and get nailed by a car. So it's good to have some kind of control at distance because a hunting dog is just following it's nose.

I travelled to langley from kelowna and met a lady who runs a business called "life without a leash". she sold us our collar for our brittany and spent a full day training US how to properly use it! usually requires a 2 day course minimum, but had a time restraint and she was awesome with just putting it all into one long day in the pouring rain! but if you get a collar GET TRAINED! they can do so much harm! let a proffesional introduce your pup to it, not you. because every day needs to be tweaked for your dog. on a walk my britt starts to feel the nick at 12 (i dont feel it untill 30) but when she is on birds she works anywhere from 20-30 due to her focus being elsewhere. it is to get their attention! not to punish them! I had to detour from the standard training collar commands though, I never used vibrate as positive reinforcement, i used it for the 'come' command. as i did not feel right nicking her for not coming when she could not hear the command in the first place (when im on the river fishing). but that was a choice i made and only I use the collar with my dog. great tool though! but its a tool. it does not replace the hard work of properly training your pup. it reinforces/reminds them of what they have already been taught when they are too focused on their job.
    Last edited by pg13; 07-03-2016 at 04:16 PM.