Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BLUE HEELER, Looking for a new dad

BLUE HEELER, Looking for a new dad

We have come to the difficult decision to look for a new home for our heeler "Finn". Finn has been my right hand for the last 8 years. We now have a one year old son and Finn has been showing aggression toward him. We have worked with a behaviorist and our vet on these problems.
    Finn had both ACL's replaced when he was 4 years old. We did all the proper rehabilitation but due to the ACL replacements he isn't a dog that can tolerate long hikes and has pain in his knees. He can manage a few hours looking for sheds but he cant do the big climbs anymore. He would be fine with a decent walk everyday and a yard to hang out in, WARNING: do not bring balls into the house he will never let you rest.
    He is on Metacam as needed for pain relief, I would be willing to continue to pay for this as we are very invested in his health. He just had a full vet check up and has a clean bill of health. Finn loves people but isn't great at on leash greetings with other dogs, he is better greeting when he is off leash. He's hard headed like most heelers, but also highly intelligent.
    The ideal home for Finn would be one with no small children , a fenced area to play and a warm comfy spot to sleep inside. Im not looking to give Fin to someone just looking for a dog, but I'll drive anywhere in BC to re home him.

PM on here if you are interested in meeting Fin or speaking about adopting him. This dog has been much more than a faithfull companion and I'd like to give him a shot at a new home rather than the alternative.

ANDREW 250.462.8505
    andrew@redstagcontracting.ca
    Make Your Own Luck

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BLUE HEELER, Looking for a new dad

Did Finn find a new dad,,
    i dont kill innocent animals...just the ones that look guilty

I feel your pain as I had to do the same thing . It was tough .

I hope you can find a new, loving home for Finn, he seems like an outstanding guy and would be a great dog for a couple in a small house, fenced yard and time to play.

I lost Can. Champ. Quean Lily Loveliface, my fabulous Rottweiler bitch on May 31, we are still grieving as we got her at 7 weeks. Her loveslave, mighty "Cisco", V1 rated Rottgod, is still totally devastated as they were lovers from Oct. 2009.......the presence of good dogs makes life so much more in so many respects.

Best of luck from us!

Thanks guys.
    We have no come to the crossroads. With no one suitable willing to take Fin I have made the decision to out him down this Tuesday. Difficult doesn't even beginto describe it. Took him for his last hike today.
    Make Your Own Luck

i had to re-home my heeler for the same reason, great dog just not a kids dog.
    "Winter is coming"- Ned stark

Just a suggestion but have you considered surrendering him to the pound as they have been successful in many adoptions, just a suggestion.

I would like to say something uplifting, spiritual, and supportive to my good friend but can't find the words. Just know I'm thinking of you and how very hard this must be.........................................

ROD
    Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing

Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Group Canada

(Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend)

I wish I could take him as I have alot of experiences with crazy heelers but life just will not allow it right now. You have my sympathy but you have to protect your son he comes first.

I hope you don't mind but I posted this on Alberta Outdoors to see if we can find a home for Finn. I wish I could take him.