Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cooking organs

Re: cooking organs

You like em? Good flavour.

I soak kidneys and change the water several times before cooking them. Extract the the brains and love heart, liver ,tongue and last year started saving the pancreas and my wife made a kind of German style blood sausage/meat loaf out of it after grinding it and adding other ingredients. Made some deer liver pâté too and canned it in salmon jars.
    Last edited by MichelD; 06-24-2016 at 04:10 PM.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm stuffed moose or deer heart
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenny View Post
    You like em? Good flavour.
    I've never eaten wild ones, but yeah, I enjoy the calf type. Fairly mild flavour. Making the outside crispy and inside soft and creamy adds a nice texture contrast.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Moose heart Stew has been a stable in our camps over 30 yrs.1 large Fresh moose heart immersed in boiling water in large pot,boil till cooked,remove from pot leaveing water.Cut open the heart and remove all ventricals/viens and dice into 1 inch cubes.Throw cubs back in the pot add potatoes ,oinions,carrots and turnup ,add your favorite spices and slow cook for the day.Make sure bears don't get a wiff of this and guard the pot!!

takla

I eat lots of innards but when I tried deer liver it made me puke. The smell while boiling was too much for me. I will try that vinegar trick though.

I always look forward to liver, onions and bacon with potatoes. Hard to beat that! Ill even steal from others gutpiles to get my fix!

Quote Originally Posted by gmachine19 View Post
    I eat lots of innards but when I tried deer liver it made me puke. The smell while boiling was too much for me. I will try that vinegar trick though.
    Boiling? nay nay man. Slice into steeks, dredge in flour, fry. remove, make gravy with onions, add back the liver. IMO there is nothing better than shot that day deer liver. So sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    I always look forward to liver, onions and bacon with potatoes. Hard to beat that! Ill even steal from others gutpiles to get my fix!
    I'll be the lookout.

boiling liver?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!