Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with animal hair

Re: Dealing with animal hair

I have made pate with liver before.... it turned out awesome..it was about 2/3 liver 1/3 uncut bacon slab, lots of garlic and sage...cooked in a double boiler in the oven...yum yum..i'll have to try and find the recipe again for next year

I don't think I'd try shaving any hair off the animal before making the first cut to open it up, there'd be so much loose hair lying around you'd end up with more on the meat for sure that way...we always gut the animal (deer mostly) in the field, then peel the hide off once hanging back at camp.. give it a good wipedown with vinegar and a rag, that will get the dust, blood and most of the hair off.

theres always going to be a few stray hairs stuck to the carcass but once it starts to tack-up go back and brush them off with the flat of your knife while admiring your success!

http://nourishingjoy.com/three-pates...-every-palate/

here are a few pate recipes... they look pretty easy and make something awesome instead of critter food...I will try to find my pate recipe and post it too

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperdan View Post
    Okay, so how does everyone else deal with hair on their meat? I know I go out to the game pole every day and pick hair off and it is a pain in the Ass! So I am sitting here thinking...what if I picked up a set of cordless livestock clippers? Then when I get an animal on the ground, before I start field dressing, give a quick shave to the area I am about to cut. Anybody ever tried this? Maybe you have livestock and have used the clippers. Think this would be worthwhile? I know there will still be hair to deal with, but if you can clean it all off and get rid of it before you start cutting then there is nothing for it to stick to. I am interested in hearing opinions.
    I use the welders trick, clamp the negative to the azz and the positive to the nose and hit the switch.BANG !!!!
    Seriously,use a sharp knife and pay attention. Easy, just common sense. When it`s tacky you can brush off any hairs wearing a leather glove or wire brush. Just be carefull and don`t use your knife every inch of the way, you can peel 80% of the hide off clean.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Agree with the above. if done right, you shouldn't have too much hair. This can also be trimmed off once the meat has set. I find the bigger issue is having something to put large quarters on as you are quartering, and getting the quarters out of thick bush without having leaves and needles attach to the quarters as you fight your way through the bush and fall and roll on the forest floor with a heavy pack. Last year I had an elk that looked like I had put forest herbs all over it. When butchering, just take a knife and take the thin outside layer off.
    I saw a picture of that Jim, your pack horse sent it to me...game bags man, game bags. Not the cheap cheese cloth from CT, I have a reusable set made from heavy cotton, old sheets also work well.
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    the lungs all get chopped up and thrown in with tongue and heart with a kind of gravy......the bits of lung float in the stew...I was not interested in trying it and I am pretty adventurous with food.....when I was offered it at his house, I asked his son (my age) "what do you think of it?" he replied "I don't eat that shit"...heheheheh so I declined...
    Cripes I think I would have said I think i left the iron on and got out qvik! Aah who am I kidding I would have tried it. I don't know about that moose nose recipe from Newfounland though.. Maybe we can hear about it on the innerdz thread.

When I have deer or bear hanging in my shop I just let it sit over night and then give it a blast of air from my compressor. Just run the nozzle around and watch the bits all come off. It works way better than you might think.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    When I have deer or bear hanging in my shop I just let it sit over night and then give it a blast of air from my compressor. Just run the nozzle around and watch the bits all come off. It works way better than you might think.
    Wow thats a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    http://nourishingjoy.com/three-pates...-every-palate/

here are a few pate recipes... they look pretty easy and make something awesome instead of critter food...I will try to find my pate recipe and post it too

Thx for this.
    I'm going to try to make some after our fall Whitetail hunt. I'm a rookie hunter and didn't keep any organs from my first ever hunt last year.

We were gone for 5 days. So how do you keep the liver? Will it be ok in a cooler for that long or should I freeze it after gutting the animal?
    Last edited by 4x4; 06-24-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Backwoods.....Have you ever been in a butcher shop when an animal is killed and the guts dropped out?...They then skin the animal and then wash the entire carcass ...My butcher told me washing the meat in vinegar and baking soda in hot water ...then after scrubbing dry completely ....A little air circulating around the meat and a skin will form ...You then can bag the quarters in good quality meat bags to keep the meat clean ...I also scrub the ribs and inside area with a stiff bristle brush...Also when skinning it helps to pull the hide off as much as you can..Being doing this for 50 years and my butcher says I have some of the cleanest meat ..Just my 2 bits to the subject ...Dennis