Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing with animal hair

Dealing with animal hair

Okay, so how does everyone else deal with hair on their meat? I know I go out to the game pole every day and pick hair off and it is a pain in the Ass! So I am sitting here thinking...what if I picked up a set of cordless livestock clippers? Then when I get an animal on the ground, before I start field dressing, give a quick shave to the area I am about to cut. Anybody ever tried this? Maybe you have livestock and have used the clippers. Think this would be worthwhile? I know there will still be hair to deal with, but if you can clean it all off and get rid of it before you start cutting then there is nothing for it to stick to. I am interested in hearing opinions.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dealing with animal hair

Not sure what you are doing, but there isn't that much for us.

Usually after everything is hanging we stand around and BS about the hunt and pick the hairs that have stuck. Mainly just along the gutting line.

How much hair are you dealing with to think you need to shave things before skinning?

Vinegar and a rag

skin ankles back before hanging
    always cut skin from inward out not through the hair
    keep your knife hand and knife clean wipe frequently onto the nice clean hide lower down
    keep hair side of the hide rolling away from the meat as you go
    flush out gut cavity well

I've witnessed a few new hunters cutting the outside of the hide when attempting to open the animal up, and continue on with the same technique throughout the entire animal, actually cutting the hair. It's everywhere! The trick is to cut from the inside out, sliding your knife up and under the hide away from you. Very little hair falls out, and what does along the way should be wiped off through the whole process.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

I have skinned a lot of game I know how to cut from inside to reduce hair. Maybe I am just a little anal-retentive and OCD but I hate having even a single hair on my meat. Just contemplating an easier method particularly on Moose since I usually quarter it before I skin the hide off which results in extra hair on the meat.

Fair enough. I think everyone has to pick hair, and I don't believe there is an easier method.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    skin ankles back before hanging
    This is a good tip

Don 't get it on the meat in the first place. Do the gutless method, and pick off the few hairs that get on the meat.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Scrape it off with the side of a knife or a loop of stiff banding. I always scrape everything, takes off hair and blood clots and dirt. Works wonders