Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the shortage of moose.

Re: Thoughts on the shortage of moose.

Stop all cow/calf draws for a specified period. In some MUs in Region 3 the # of bull LEH were reduced because of poor numbers. Hunters accept that. Last year in 3-39, there were only about 9 or so draws for bull in November. That has been consistent over the years. The numbers seen by in 3-39 have been poor over the last 4-5 years. Lots of wolf activity. There's no disputing that. So last year to our pleasure we saw a decent number of big bulls in 39. It's our home region and we spend a lot of time there. So what does MOE do this year? 20 LEH for bull in November. In one year they more than double the LEH. In 3-40 they tripled the # of bull draws about 3-4 years ago. Well it's working. Nary a one to be seen anymore in 40. It's madness. MOE is taking lessons from DFO in my opinion. Policy is made with a blindfold and a dartboard.
    It's Mom not Mum
    It's Fries not Chips
    It's Soccer not Football
    It's School not Shooting Range

all the heavily logged beetle kill areas need to have some measures to control access....as others have said, 1500lb 7-8 foot tall moose can't hide very well in cutovers...

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Fixed it for you. And if the natives keep shooting moose cows it kills 12 animals in a 10 year period. Stewarts of the land alright.
    And this is one of the big problems, road-deactivation is a key tool, but costs $$$$...obviously we don't want all roads deactivated, but a percentage of spur roads would be great..hard for them to hunt out of their overloaded station wagon when they can't get past the churned up road..

Quote Originally Posted by Corb89 View Post
    would you give up your moose hunt today, so that your kids. your grandkids, could hunt them tomorrow.
    Most hunters are conservationists. I don't think many would have a problem if the number of tags were reduced or eliminated to save the population.

Saw a calf moose the other day. Hadn't seen one in 3 or 4 years before that. That is the problem.

More people have to hunt bear, cougar and wolf. Never mind the eat what I kill crap, and kill something that is eating the moose calves.

Too many guys make a road trip for moose, but never make the trip to hunt predators where they go for moose.

Last week alone I seen 6 different moose during the week while out looking for another bear. One nice looking calf with it mom, 3 cows by themselves each time and a young bull moose still with its mom

Also been seeing quite a bit of wolf scat on the roads here in region 8 I've had two friends both get a wolf each this past winter one male one female not looking good lots of bears and wolves out there I agree with drillbit there needs to be more predator control well see numbers improve

If indeed, reducing my opportunities would prove to help moose populations recovery I would accept it. We can all point fingers all day at others, it's our way. Of course every other resource user would be expected to cooperate in turn.

Quote Originally Posted by .308SLAYER View Post

That's awesome, look at momma
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand