Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the shortage of moose.

Thoughts on the shortage of moose.

I hope i don't create any haters by opening up this can o' worms

Hypothetically if the MOE created a plan to recover the moose population in troubled areas, but required hunter cooperation.
    would you give up your moose hunt today, so that your kids. your grandkids, could hunt them tomorrow.

As i write this i can see one problem cropping up. maybe, it works so well. that they decide to apply it to other game (not in need of it)
    im just curious as to everyones thoughts

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Thoughts on the shortage of moose.

If all ethnicities stopped, then yes.

NO
    genereally it's not the regulated hunting that causes a population problem. The antler restrictions in place already protect the prime breeding stock, leaving a narrow window of opportunity for us to partake in.
    Giving that up may save a couple of bulls , but won't help cow numbers or increase calf survival. Target bull:cow ratios are very conservative in BC, cows are likely all getting the sperm needed.

maybe, it works so well. that they decide to apply it to other game (not in need of it)
    not a chance
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    NO
    genereally it's not the regulated hunting that causes a population problem. The antler restrictions in place already protect the prime breeding stock, leaving a narrow window of opportunity for us to partake in.
    Giving that up may save a couple of bulls , but won't help cow numbers or increase calf survival. Target bull:cow ratios are very conservative in BC, cows are likely all getting the sperm needed.

not a chance
    this is it. It is factors other than "regulated" hunting that have caused the decline in moose populations

I'd do anything to help out, depending on the severity.

I too doubt hunting is the largest cause of the issue, but I'd be willing to give that a try since that is likely the easiest. If that fails, then we take on the big hitters: land loss, excessive road creation, limited reclamation, ect...
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by 604ksmith View Post
    I'd do anything to help out, depending on the severity.

I too doubt hunting is the largest cause of the issue, but I'd be willing to give that a try since that is likely the easiest. If that fails, then we take on the big hitters: land loss, excessive road creation, limited reclamation, ect...

But wait, what are you calling moose depletion, the fact that your average roadie won't be able to bag a bull in the headlights of the truck? True enough, we have areas where the numbers are going down due to various factors, but lets face it, this comes across slightly like the "I've never been able to shoot a Sitka" talk that pops up, every now and then. Nope, you won't be able to if you're just driving around looking for one dumb one to stop.

Predator control, I bet that if every hunter here went out religiously and took out at least a couple, take your pick: bear, cougar, wolf, coyotes, you'd see the numbers creeping up. Of course, there will always be the average asshole that shoot at everything that moves, or the disgruntled few that will "not leave it for AHEM" ...but those are exceptions and won't essentially matter in the long run, if the vast majority of us do our job with the predator control.
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

No I wouldn't. They are already making it difficult for us with the LEH instead of adressing the real problems. IE Cougars, wolves and poachers.

I would stop putting in for cows or stop utilizing the calf hunt, but would not discontinue moose hunting all together. As mentioned before regulated hunting makes up for a small percentage of annual mortality. Habitat loss, unregulated slaughter of cows/calves, predation by WOLVES and bears, collisions with trains & vehicles are all the top contributers to population decline. In order for the population to recover we need to maintain a higher calf survival rate and take care of the cows. The only way to do this as mentioned above is predator control. As long as the bull:cow ratio is in check, there is no harm in harvesting bulls. That is what we have point restrictions and LEH quotas in place for, to ensure that some of the breeding animals get a free pass each year to ensure all the cows are bred. What the province needs is a good dump of 1080 in the regions where wolf populations are out of hand, but unfortunately that will never happen again. Instead we'll just have to rely on the trappers of the province and the few dogs shot by hunters each year

Quote Originally Posted by Glenny View Post
    No I wouldn't. They are already making it difficult for us with the LEH instead of adressing the real problems. IE Cougars, wolves, grizzly and native poachers.
    Fixed it for you. And if the natives keep shooting moose cows it kills 12 animals in a 10 year period. Stewarts of the land alright.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Road access is one of the keys in region 5.When the average joe or Josephine can drive their dodge caravan into the prime moose habitat areas,you are going to have issues..the amount of logging in some of these once prolific moose and deer areas has really let a predator whether he be on two legs or four see a big black thing from a long ways away! I would like to see areas where the timber harvest is done for the forseeable future closed off for a few years to let the natural cover grow up again,don't close them to hunting but make it hike in or horse in,,it would sure allow the natural process to do it's thing.
    PIGS IS PIGS;BUT HOG'S IS HOGS!