Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 salmon fishing

Re: 2016 salmon fishing

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Hope I see you out there. Have to see how the over/under rule goes inside though. I'll be on the near beer and most likely trying to rescue fallen soldiers from the guests from double headers on 8#ers
    Just talked to another buddy who's been guiding steady up there, says its hit/miss but still some good days to be had. Nothing over 25# yet. They're waiting for me to get out there

Heard of (seen) several over 25lb the last 10-12 days. All information is not equal ! Can't wait to go.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Heard of (seen) several over 25lb the last 10-12 days. All information is not equal ! Can't wait to go.
    Few in the high 30's come out of Hardy I hear. 20# is the new 30# in my experience for quite a few years. But I'm a shitty fisherman...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Few in the high 30's come out of Hardy I hear. 20# is the new 30# in my experience for quite a few years. But I'm a shitty fisherman...
    Back in the late 80's - early 90's the majority of the Springs you caught in Nootka were in the high 20's - mid 30's. You seldom ever saw one in the teens. For every one in the teens you got at least one over 40. We had many week-long trips with a half dozen or more Tyee's averaged each day.

The small fish may have also been there at that time but we only mooched hog herring back in those days. Either way, the fish have gotten smaller and now it takes quite a bit to break the 30# mark. Most hatchery runs get like that over time so it's not really any surprise.

Have seen pics from old timers up there, back when still allowed 4/day. Dock full of nothing under 30#, dozens of slabs. Tahsis dump would be full of freezer burnt springs this time of year, out with old in with the new. And we get mad at a seal for stealing them lol.
    I just caught the tail end of decent average size starting in Kyuquot 95', first trip 44#. Never broke 50# yet, likely won't now!
    Have to get up qci maybe...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Have seen pics from old timers up there, back when still allowed 4/day. Dock full of nothing under 30#, dozens of slabs. Tahsis dump would be full of freezer burnt springs this time of year, out with old in with the new. And we get mad at a seal for stealing them lol.
    I just caught the tail end of decent average size starting in Kyuquot 95', first trip 44#. Never broke 50# yet, likely won't now!
    Have to get up qci maybe...

Hundreds of Nootka Tyee over the years and I've only boated one 50. Probably a dozen between 45 and 47.

Rivers is where you need to go if you want a good chance at one over 50. I saw with my own eyes 3 that broke 70 pounds at Dawson's Landing one year. The fish cops used to have the float right next to Dawson's. They wouldn't bother walking over unless they saw one hanging that they thought would break 60. They said that they made the walk several times a day some years.

Did see a 55# come out the hospital inside ferrier maybe 6 years ago, late June/early July. Was some Chrome! Lucky Frenchmen, only fish he got that day lol. Always a chance I guess. Worked up smiths inlet for couple years, always thought that might be a good bet too?

Few nice springs being caught last couple days, one 40#er out Esperanza. Mostly teens and low 20's though. Hope to be on the water in 5 days!

50#er caught out Port McNeil!

Perch caught off a dock campbell river!!!!!!!!!!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

52lber caught off of Dundas Is last week.....
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America