Thread: Arrow Spine?

Arrow Spine?

Hi everyone,

So I'm in need of some new arrows for my bow as I'm down to only a few. Last time I bought them was a few years ago when I purchased my bow and I bought what was recommended by the staff member who was assisting me as I didn't know a lot about arrows (and I still don't which leads me to my question). Anyways, the arrows I bought were Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak in 250 in believe (don't have my bow atm to check). I've been doing some reading up on arrow spine before I purchase my arrows next week and am a bit confused as I'm getting conflicting answers as to how much spine my new arrows should have. If you guys could provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated. My bow details are as follows:

Diamond Infinite Edge RH
    Draw Weight 50-51#s (don't remember which one)
    Draw Length 25.6"
    Practice arrow tips are 100 grains.
    Currently I only target shoot with my bow but would eventually like to start bow hunting with it.

Thanks!
    LupieHunter

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Arrow Spine?

The best thing I did for understanding arrow spine and dynamic arrow spine, and all the changes that you'll see from point weight, fletching weight, length of arrow cut, bow poundage changes, etc. is downloading the "Shaft Selector" program by OnTarget2. It gives you a free trial that should be enough for you to find what spine arrow works for your setup and how the changes affect it.

Download the program and you'll get a great idea of what to shoot.

On a side note, I'd rather have an arrow that's slightly too stiff than too weak, especially for hunting.

Yep OnTarget2 is good. Get the trial if you want to play with it for a bit. I have the program and can run numbers for you if you want.
    If you are going to hunt with the arrows you are building then build them for hunting and just live with them for target shooting. Usually target shooting like 3D you want a lighter arrow for more speed but that isn't necessarily the case with hunting. You will want a good balance of weight/speed for more kinetic energy. Also if you are going to use the arrows with a broadhead (fixed blade especially) then going a little stiffer on the spine is a wise choice.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

Is the program for Windows or Mac?

Both versions are available. i am running it on a Mac now but have run it on PC before

Google Pinwheel Software
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

50 pounds draw at 26" ish lenth ...

with 100 grain points ...

I imagine your arrows are cut at 27ish from carbon to throat of nock...

anything in the .500 spine range will do you just fine
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Thanks guys!