Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harry Lake (Ashnola)

Harry Lake (Ashnola)

I am considering a little backcountry fishing expedition to Harry Lake via the Ewart Creek trailhead. Do any of you guys have experience with the area? Access, fishing quality, etc. This will be my first time in the snowy protected area.

Also, if anyone has other suggestions of good backcountry fishing spots that would be great too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers, Sylus
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of it's lonely freedom."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Harry Lake (Ashnola)

Hit Joe Lake on the way to fish Harry. Bigger fish in Joe but more plentiful in Harry.
    It's about a 20 km grind back to Harry with some good elevation gain.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Access: well identified & maintained trail. It's about 17k to Joe (or so), with a fair chunk of elevation gain...Harry is just a bit further, and a bit higher. Can't speak to your fitness level, but count on 1 full day to get there. Manage your H20 if its hot and dry on the hike in...watering holes can be scarce unless you know where they are.

Fishing: yup, there's tons of pan fryers in Harry. If you're going just for the fishing you'll get bored awful quick. The water literally boils every evening with 6-8" ers.
    "I've seen grown men pick at food. They can't be hungry in the first place. Or maybe their food has been too fancy and with all the choices they've had, they don't really know what they enjoy anymore." - Dick Proenneke

you could do the newby lakes..east slope cutthroat in them.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

If you're going just for some fishing, Joe would be my choice as they're 10-12"
    with a few larger. If you're looking at a pack in adventure of 2 days or so,
    give me a pm and I'll tell you of a lake to try just a bit closer to home.

Fish are dead in joe ,plus cabin got burnt down last year, harry has lots of fish small ones ,check out haystacks, fishing was good last weekend,cheers

Quote Originally Posted by aggiehunter View Post
    Fish are dead in joe ,plus cabin got burnt down last year, harry has lots of fish small ones ,check out haystacks, fishing was good last weekend,cheers
    When did the die-off happen? That is news for sure.

Historically Joe had some whoppers in it, Harry had little guys.

Without a doubt one of the nicest places in R8.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by aggiehunter View Post
    Any more info about that cabin, wildfire got it?.... Family memeber met the guy that used to use it for trapping and summer vacation. Sad to hear it's gone I heard it was in a beautiful spot

Quote Originally Posted by bc_buckshot View Post
    Any more info about that cabin, wildfire got it?.... Family memeber met the guy that used to use it for trapping and summer vacation. Sad to hear it's gone I heard it was in a beautiful spot
    Human fire they figure.

Optimistic we might be able to rebuild.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

There was 2 cabins there. Did both burn? I was hoping to go there this fall. Staying in a cabin was always a bonus