Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single or multipin sight's. what do you use?

Re: Single or multipin sight's. what do you use?

Appreciate all the replies, so thank you to all who posted. My ultimate goal will be to get out an hunt with my bow but I'm not expecting that for a good while until i feel capable with my ability. Once i get my bow set up i will be looking at joining burnaby archers as they seem to have a decent range to practice and i can come and go within my work schedule. Maybe in the future someone will take me under their wing as a mentor and show me the ropes.

Ridgedale 3d is tomorrow. Come on out. There will be plenty of ropes to show ya

A 5-pin sights are great for hunting if you don't want to spend a lot Tru-Glo makes great sights, super bright fiber enclosed and my last one I bought for about $70. That said now that I'm shooting the 2016 APA King Cobra TF I have switched to a Sure-Loc Sportsman special as with the speeds I'm getting my pins are just way too close. The nice thing about shooting a fast bow is that for hunting you can set your sight at 20 yards and if you range an animal at 30 yards you just hold higher by an inch or two. Good luck, bowhunting is a lot of fun, a couple pointers for you whatever sight you buy choose a peep aperture that allows very little space around your sight housing when you are at full draw,this will help your accuracy. Aim low lungs heart on deer as they can often compress at the shot. If the deer compresses you'll hit lungs and if it doesn't you'll hit heart. New bowhunters tend to shoot to high and often end up shooting over the back. When you see a deer force yourself to focus, take deep breaths and plan your next move. Don't rush your shot, a missed opportunity is much better than the gut wrenching feeling of wounding an animal and not being able to recover it. Cheers and happy hunting.
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.” -John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by NickR182 View Post
    The HHA single pins was one on my list to have a look at. Multi pin i was looking towards maybe the Spot Hogg Hunter and the Trophy Ridge React Pro. Rather have metal over plastic even if it means a weight increase for durability.
    Any recommendations for other multi pins to look into?
    I have heard of big game archery, but as I'm currently living in DT Vancouver its a bit further out to get to past boormans. I have spoken to Boormans over the phone a couple of times and the lady went out of her way to help/answer questions.
    I'm shooting a HHA single pin this year..I too find the 5 pin cluttered and I don't know but as I get older I find 5 pins sometimes confusing in the heat of the moment......calibrated in to 60 meters...I don't recomend going to 40 & doing the math...a fellow that I shot along side at the range told me that he did that and his was off after 40 yds.....I thing go right out to 60. just my $.02

trueglow 5 crosshare and don't use a peepsigh.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR182 View Post
    Appreciate all the replies, so thank you to all who posted. My ultimate goal will be to get out an hunt with my bow but I'm not expecting that for a good while until i feel capable with my ability. Once i get my bow set up i will be looking at joining burnaby archers as they seem to have a decent range to practice and i can come and go within my work schedule. Maybe in the future someone will take me under their wing as a mentor and show me the ropes.
    The Burnaby club is a great group of people I currently am a member and love the range. However I sadly have to move away soon.

Personally sight wise I have a 5 pin. For me I am more comfortable with the extra pins instead of a single pin. Just easier for switching distances, for me at least.

5 pin all the way. lots of guys use different stuff. find what you like and practice a ton
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

I have used five pin sights that string vertically (so pins are one behind the other) and was very happy with it. Sold the bow with the sight last year. I currently use a Black Gold Ascent Ambush single pin sight (2015 model) but haven't hunted with it yet but do really like it. I once forgot to adjust the yardage pin from 50 yds back to 20 yds when shooting at the range. If I do that at the range, then its possible I might get all excited and forget to do that when hunting. BUT...I love having less clutter in the sight picture. I would have gone with another quality 5 pin vertical aligned sight but couldn't find one...they are all horizontal aligned pins so clutter your sight picture on the right side of the sight. Vertical pins stacked one behind the other were so much better IMO.
    aka...THE MOOSE WHISPERER

I use a trophy ridge react 5-pin. It is super bright, and the adjustment is super easy. You just set up your 20, lock it in. then adjust for any 30/40/50/60 and all of the others will be bang on. Ive tried it with a few different arrows and its legit. I bought it for hunting because I cant see myself going over 60m on an animal anytime soon with my bow but like having a variety of pins set for whatever range the animal may be at. That being said I think I would like shooting the single pin better. Sometimes my eyes have a little trouble focusing on a pin when theres 5 glowing infront of me, its just not as practical for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Boormans sells HHA sights now. They are a really good single pin moveable sight. I switched to a moveable sight last year and like it a lot but I haven't shot the compound bow much these days. Mostly longbow for me now.

+1...same...went to a HHA at Christmas. Installed it and it took til just a week or so ago to finish sighting it in due to my new Trad longbow...can't put it down....lol I'm trying the moveable single pin as it seems less cluttered to me. the catch of course is having enough time to range and adjust as an animal moves in....