Thread: Foc Arrows

Foc Arrows

Hey All,

I just signed up with the forum. I'm looking for help getting a lethal hunting arrow. I shoot a #50 recurve. I want to set up a high FOC arrow. Does anyone know of a bow shop that will help a guy get some arrows tuned up? There is so many options available when you start shopping online that I'm a little lost with respect to spine with a heavy point and all the options available with broad heads, adapters, inserts and the rest of it. I find most shops are more set up for compounds and the options for trad gear is limited. I have done lots of research and understand the principles of arrow flight but real life application i'm missing. Id prefer not to buy a little of everything and try to figure out the right set up in my shed (again). I'm all for buying in BC just trying to figure out where. I have been shooting for about 4 years and am taking my recurve hunting this year exclusively. I need arrows I am completely comfortable with so I have no second thoughts and I want to get it together soon so I have lots of time to shoot before sept 1. I have had very limited success tuning arrows so far. My flu flus shoot great but they are a little loud. I'm in region 4.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Foc Arrows

Region 4? I'd give Monty at Windfeather Traditional Archery a call. In Cranbrook.

For tuning a trad bow/arrows get on the tradtalk forum. The best shooters in the world are on there and have a ridiculous amount of knowledge they are willing to share. Really good guys too. As for arrows, a little more info is needed. Your draw length, the make and model of your bow... How far past center if at all the shelf is cut.

Also to tune an arrow to you/your bow, you have to do it yourself and it takes time and patience. Start with what you think will be close. Eg. Your 50# bow with an actual draw of 28" and a cut to center shelf... I would start with a .500 spine arrow full length and shoot a group with 125gn tips. If you are right handed and your bow is tuned properly if the spine is too weak the impacts will be to the right of your point of aim. If the spine is too stiff the impacts will be to the left of you point of aim. If the arrow is too weak you can try a lighter tip but since you want higher FOC you will want to start cutting a quarter inch at a time until the arrow groups at your point of aim. If the arrow at full length is too stiff the only thing you can do is add weight up front with a heavier insert and heavier tips. Keep adding weight until the arrow impacts at point of aim. Let me know if you are confused lol

Where are you located

Im in Nelson. I am going to give Monty a call and look into trad talk. Thanks for replying.

250-426-8565