Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tight lipped / vs helping out

Re: Tight lipped / vs helping out

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Maybe he didn't understand your question? Since it's pretty much a given that by the third week of May, lots of bears will be out. Never been to that shop so I don't know what the staff is like though.
    Unless he didn't understand ENGLISH I don't know how he could of not of understood me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    You gotta give back, gotta pay it forward. Except to assholes. Don't help assholes.
    I would love to see this list. Interesting.

I agree with those who believe in giving back. For most of us, helping others is human nature. I have pretty strict rules about coughing up much information on here though. Inevitably a person gets negatively challenged. When it goes south, it just isnt worth it.

I've received pm requests from hunters and I've helped them determine where they want to hunt, what they might expect and I've built maps for people indicating camp sites hiking routes and likely locations.

I bring guys in to camp and offer to go out with others. As an IBEP instructor there is always lots of conversation/sharing about what to look for and how to react. I published a bowhunting magazine (profits went 100% to habitat work) that had a lot of good hunting tips material.

I along with others believe, "show me your hunting spot and I will never hunt it without you." Do the work and I dont mind helping.

I'm a new hunter and to be honest I've found it hard to get someone to teach me a few things. I could care less about what location more experienced guys don't want to tell me about, I would love a chance to learn what to do in the field by joining someone who could maybe teach me a few things.

I know quite a few experienced guys and have always put it out there that I would love to be an apprentice and if there was an extra spot I'd love to tag along but getting that invite seems to be pretty tough to get in the end. A lot of guys are cool with talking about general strategy and things like that but finding someone who will show you how look for deer or how to gut a deer actually seems to be pretty challenging.

I've been trying to get in on a hunt or two for a couple years now and have been unsuccessful but at least this year I've managed to at least get my name into a shared moose draw so maybe I'm getting closer to a real hands on lesson.

I learn best by watching and doing so only watching youtube isn't quite cutting it. Then again, maybe it's me as to why I'm not getting an invite...Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by J_06 View Post
    I'm all for helping out, just not on a public forum where you have no idea what slob/idiot/etc your giving away your scouted an proven areas too. I'm more than willing to help like I said, just not by posting billboards for all too see. Far too many places around my areas absolutely destroyed due to lazy littering slobs setting up camps and leaving a dump behind. It's amazing how fast word of mouth travels when the wrong set of ears is listening.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger#1 View Post
    I would love to see this list. Interesting.
    I don't have a list, and not talking about people on HBC in particular. It's just if someone comes across as an asshole, I don't help them. Or when people come to me and ask me about something (hunting/reloading/guns/scopes) and I give an opinion they don't like and try to convince me I'm wrong, I just think "why did you bother asking if you didn't want my advice?" So I don't advise them anymore
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I've always found it tough, or cringed a bit when people start giving open advice in forum.
    Over PM or in person I enjoy sharing what I have learned, that's one of the biggest pleasures is sharing.
    But to make open posts is just in poor taste weather the info is true or to lead astray, both ways.

I agree, in person or PM is fine by me. Everything comes full circle. Knew you would get a decent ram Campking!

I don't have any issue with giving information on the open forum. It's up to the individual who gives the advice on what they share. I've done it plenty of times and have no problem with it. I often might offer the same info on the forum as I do in PM. Depends what it is.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Generally once a good spot is mentioned publicly online, it's done. Doesn't matter if it is fishing spot or a hunting spot. It will go from serenity to trucks/boats/whatever all over the place.

I share information privately and sparingly, but even then, it likely has the same affect, but just happens more slowly and naturally, like the old word-of-mouth days

Made the mistake of mentioning a spot on one of my Youtube videos when someone asked in the comments... went from nobody ever being there to looking like a walmart parking lot in over a couple years... it's no longer fishable, at least if you like a little elbow room

Same even goes with places to camp where you can get away from it and not see many, if any people. Social media has destroyed a number of pristine walk-in lakes... there are even individuals/groups who make a living posting articles about like "100 cool free places to camp in BC", promoting their e-magazines, fishing groups etc... people will do anything for hits/likes/subscribes and people can't resist partying in pristine places with a scenic back-drop.

Definitely help people and point them in the right direction... just be selective... do a little bit to get to know the person and keep it private.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-04-2016 at 10:21 PM.