Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Tent

Backpacking Tent

Was looking at buying a Tarp Tent Stratospire 1, Ends up being close to $500 CAD (its listed at $309 and exchange...) by the time its all said and done. I like the fact it was only 2.2 lbs and has good vestibule room but now that I'm looking at spending that much I'm wondering what other options there may be. I had a BA Fly Creek UL2 but found it pretty cramped. Anyone have any input on alternatives like M.H/Sierra Designs etc?

Cheers, Rob
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Backpacking Tent

I used a hubba hubba nx last season, can honestly say it did keep the rain out, we had a lot of it. With the tent fly peg's poles and foot print, it shows 4.7lb on my scale. 2 guys fit ok, the 2 doors are a must now that iv used a tent with 2. A great mid level tent for not bad $$.

Rob..check out mountain hardware tents..have 1 ...4 season and 1...lightweight sheep tent..both have been incredible. .
    Cheers
    Steven

Seek outside BT2 is priced right, light, roomy and you can put a stove in it if you want to.

Which ones do you use Steven? I used the hubba hubba no the last 3 seasons and it's been in some nasty rain. Was fine for two guys on a weekend trip but would get pretty cramped on any sheep trip, especially if you get rained out.

I have a Eureka 2 person tent, under 5 lbs really well made, it's an older model not listed anymore, but only used it a few times and still like new.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I use a MEC Tarn 2 tent, great support, good little tent, no way you could sleep 2 in it though lol

I have a sierra designs 3 man which has proven itself but it is just over 5lbs. It's funny I see they are copying (or vica versa) the tarp tent stratospi design with their flashlight series. I'll use the SD 3 man when I backpack with the kids but want something for solo. Thanks for the input so far. Be nice if their was more to read on the tarp tents as far as field use from mountain hunters.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

I have a Hilleberg Nallo2 GT, which is great for 2 guys in any weather, but at just under 6 lbs it's a bit heavy for 1 guy to bear for solo stuff.
    I'm a big fan of wiggle room in a tent and am looking seriously at the MSR Hubba Hubba NX for solo and 2 person weekend use.

If you're going to spend 500 you might as well double it and get a seek outside . I just ordered a redcliff, the idea of warmth in a backpacking tent is worth the cost in my mind.