Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Grizz Adventure

Re: Spring Grizz Adventure

That afternoon we loaded into Naps jetboat and found some areas to glass

We glassed for hours. About every half hour we would spot another moose or black bear, which kept us interested

It was about 315pm when brooktrout yelled "Grizz". We all followed his gaze and directions and soon were all dialed in on a great looking blonde Grizz. We studied the bear from about 4km away and felt it was a good bear. It was in a horrible place for a stalk. It was settled in a small 20 yard opening that was completely surrounded by slide alder. We felt it was best to just watch as there was no reasonable approach on this bear. I hated to pass on the opportunity and suggested we sneak in as close as possible and try to "predator call" him into the open. I held out my call in an effort to persuade my partners. Brooktrout jumped into his pack and said lets go. We packed up our gear and I slipped down 3 pain killers. The bear was on an extremely steep hillside. Brooktrout said we will be up there in 40 minutes. I corrected him and said "an hour and a half". He smiled and handed me an energy gel saying " you will need this". We idled across the lake and studied the terrain, looking for a path up the mountain and memorizing landmarks . We shouldered our packs and hopped off the boat at 4pm. Brooktrout and I were doing the stalk while Nap and Smoothbor were going to watch the stalk from the lake. Brooktrout was impatient with my many rest stops. We checked the wind often and made steady progress up the mountain.

I used stopping to take a pic a good excuse for a rest!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Keep it coming guys, your camped in our spot from last years moose hunt! I had to drive down the shore line to launch my boat! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I am at a motel and internet is impossibly slow. I just typed for a half hour and then lost everything!!

Why do all the good stories start at my bedtime, dammit......

We got to the spot we had set out for in one hour and 25 minutes. I was pretty happy to shave 5 minutes off my eta. Brooktrout got setup across his pack and dry fired his rifle a few times to get settled while I ranged a few spots for reference. He chambered a round and grinned back at me. I began working the predator call while watching for the bear. 15 minutes later I was out of breath and thinking this wouldn't work. I suggested we advance to a closer higher postion for a different view. We moved carefully and quietly across the steep hillside.

Good stuff. Nice country.

We both saw the silver/blonde flash in the alders at the same time. Brooktrout unsnapped his pack as I slid it off his back and sat down. I had to bite my tongue as he advanced slowly. It was my fatherly instinct to give him advise. He has been in the field with me since he was old enough to wipe his own ass. He has more hunting experience than many men twice his age. He knew what to do. I saw Brooktout raise his 708 BLR and take aim offhand, the only shot he had, and then the bear about 125 yards beyond him. The bear started to tumble down the steep mountainside before I heard the sound of the 120gr ttsx smashing bone. There was a vapor trail of pollen coming off the alders as the bear tumbled. All went quiet, very quiet. Brooktrout advanced and I hurried to carry two packs and my BLR to catch him. Before I caught up he turned and grinned, having spotted the very dead bear. We sat above him peering into the thick alders he was tangled in. The scenery was breathtaking and I had just shared an incredible experience with my son. It was a moment only hunters can understand.

Great story so far and an awesome experience with your son no doubt. Congrats to both you guys. Looking forward to some pics.
    HH

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.