Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blind Material

Blind Material

Does anybody have any good suggestions for blind designs in open fields? I am also looking into paint for some material I have and am finding it difficult to find army green flat paint.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blind Material

I went through the same thing when looking for paint. Try some of the flat wood stains in brown and green and mix a blotch and linear pattern.
    If you own the land where the blind is, make a depression (or pit) so you don't stand out so high.
    My buddy has a good field blind on a field, it's backed by a blackberry patch which really hides it from pretty much all angles. If any of the surrounding field cover can be used, it's the way to go.
    When I was in Ft. Saskatchewan a few years ago (hunting geese). we used a layout blind which my dad's buddy called a "coffin" blind. It was a low blind about 1 1/2 ft above ground which you layed in with just part of your head above the blind (your back is supported on a ramp to the back). The layout had a camo pattern and we used vegitation found around the area which went into small straps all over the layout. It worked great but you have to be comfortable shooting from sitting position! Oh, and I should add that for safty reasons, rest the tip of the barrel of your gun out of the layout at your feet so it doesn't get hung up when you push the flaps open.
    Here's a site with a plan to build a layout:
    http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...l%3Den%26lr%3D

and a picture on the web: http://www.ontariogoose.com/Graphics...johnbishop.jpg
    Dan
    P.S. Something of note here, years ago a guy I work with was in one of those large goose decoys that you lay inside when he caught the trigger on his jacket when he went to raise his gun for a shot at some geese. I guess he had taken his safety off early and the gun fired,..... he shot off 2 and a half toes!
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Post Re: Blind Material

toes are over-rated

I use goose chairs so I don't really have any tips for making a blind in the middle of a field. When we hunt out of blinds here it's usually on brushy fencelines, and use camo burlap etc for cover.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Krylon markets an Olive Drab paint in the rattle cans. Plus a host of other camo colors. Crappy Tire has 'em for about 4 bones a can.
    If you see it, you can hit it!

Try using chicken wire as the walls. Then weave vegetation in and out the holes.You can put a pole on two or three corners to help keep it from blowing over. Cattle panels work well also (the round wire kind). We use to make them out of river cane but dont know how well that would work here or if there is that much of it. If anyone knows a place to get it just cut it off at the ground. Then stick the cut end in the ground to form a front, back and sides. Leave a opening to get in and out. Then last usesome of the cane to weave in and out to beef up the walls and help camo it a little better. If you leave the back tall and cut the front short enough to shoot over it works great. But some of the ground blind plans Dano had are really great also. They work real well on birds that have high hunting presure.

Dirty,

There are a few commercial style blind materials on the market, either camo burlap or a camo mesh style netting. I've used the burlap. A cheap route is get plain burlap and spray it with flat black, green an brown. Heck I set-up on a flooded ditch line and used some heavy clear poly (birds must see it as water surface reflection) to sit behind. Just don't move till required.

We have had good results with the camo burlap, if we are too lazy to dig pits. It works really good if there is still some swath in the field. Just lie in the row, with the camo pulled over you. Bagged a wack of ducks and geese this way. Burlap is pretty cheap, and can be used for several years. We have also used some baleing hemp twine, tied to four 2"x2" stakes pounded into the ground, in a square. We then weave some smaller branches into the twine. You can sit comfortable in them, and stand when you are ready to shoot. I still shoot better standing then I do in the lie down position. Better swing thru.

Birds may not come in to readily to the stand up blinds though if they have been heavily hunted. Pits or lie down blinds still seem to fool the wary ones.

I have heard of black plastic being used to create an pond image on a field. Heard that it works good too!
    Theres no place like home! Unless of course you are out hunting!!

The black plastic can be used on iced up water also. Just put a couple decoys on the plastic and watch them come.

Canadian tire has flat green paint now in Langley.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

I found some awesome 3D camo fabric in our local Fabric Land. It looked a lot like this stuff...

I'll be the first one to admit that I was a little out of my element standing in line to pay for my fabric with all the local seamstresses looking at me. Even the cashier commented that I looked a little out of me "comfort zone".
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.