Thread: first turkey, first hunt

first turkey, first hunt

It sounded like everyone was going to rock creek so I went east, a few hrs east. I have just got my hunting and restricted / non restricted. I have spent time in the woods camping, real camping, but knew no hunters. So off I went with nothing more than a CD of call how to and you tube make your own call. I got up on opening morning and drove to a spot some local was kind enuff to share and I hiked up to the edge of a clearing. I sat down to just liston and take in the hunt, then i herd it, way off ahead of me and to the left a bit i herd him. Gave my best shot at sounding like a bird then sat, I herd him again this time strate ahead but a bit to the right. He was going some where away from my path. I gave a more vigorous call and waited. Then I herd him....... He turned turned right to me. I must say I was shocked and thought he thinks I'm a Turkey, maybe my Buddy's where right, I covered up in my spot. I had found a place on a rock and moved a big branch in front of me with camo cloth over it and called again. Not ever hearing that gobble in the woods before I had no idea how close he was but I was thinking he was just over the noel, was I wrong. Closer and closer, louder and louder he got the more excited I got. I couldn't believe this was working. After some more calls and waiting over the hill he came, about 55 meters from me there he was, my first harvest, my old .22 Remington rang out and he disappeared over the hill. I missed. Just then a 2nd tom came up to my right, I moved and he ran. I walked to the other side of the noel and to my surprise I hadn't missed there was my 20 lb bird.
    I am so hooked. 2 hrs and I was cleaning my bird.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: first turkey, first hunt

Congrats! Turkey hunting is so fun I'm sure you are already thinking about next spring . If they said you could only hunt one species the rest of your like I'd pick Turkey!

They aren't like domestic birds. Legs and dark meat can be tough so be sure to do them in a slow cooker and make a nice juicy stew. Breast meat is awesome done in flour egg and bread crumbs.

Happy eatin!

Wow, great first hunt , attago, You make it sound easy.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Great story. don't get too confident as they aren't all that easy all of the time. Quite the rush, though, eh? My regret is that we can get only one in the spring. First thing I want to do after I get mine, is to go try for another. Congrats and thanks for posting.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

O ya it was amazing. I do know its not ez, but a good brag to the hunter that told me ont to expect to come home with a tom for a few years. Thanks and see ya in fall