Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: School for hunting neubs?

Re: School for hunting boobs?

You need to put where you are. People will help you. If they are close. I am in the Fraser Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    Lots to learn online, but do some research on where to hunt, use Google earth to do some preliminary scouting, and spend a new days hiking and looking for sign. When fall comes you will at least know the theory, and a place to hunt...
    Yah that's pretty much the plan, is to research and learn thru the summer to be ready for September.
    Would be good though to have a mentor though .. of course.
    Thanks for them links too, I never heard of gutless field dressing before, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger#1 View Post
    You need to put where you are. People will help you. If they are close. I am in the Fraser Valley.
    Yah I'm in Surrey, but I'm white, from Europe .. so I like tea on the off-beat, but don't hold that against me.
    Last edited by ktantra; 05-25-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ktantra View Post
    I can hold a gun and pull the trigger.
    Lot more to good shooting than that.

I have seriously considered putting together a curriculum and taking out new hunters. It would increase hunter recruitment and help people be safe in the bush. Alas, i live a 13 hour drive from vancouver and refuse to move closer....

read Steve Rinella " the complete guide to hunting, butchering and cooking"

Yah I'm in Surrey, but I'm white, from Europe .. so I like tea on the off-beat, but don't hold that against me.
    What does color have to do with it? I know a lot of nice white people. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    I have seriously considered putting together a curriculum and taking out new hunters. It would increase hunter recruitment and help people be safe in the bush. Alas, i live a 13 hour drive from vancouver and refuse to move closer....
    That's unfortunate for us newcomers, but I see your point, a day's drive is a tad and away. I guess I may have to leave the mainland.

Maybe BigBlackDog will mentor a bit. One of the most knowledgeable guys on here, especially if you are a white european

My best advice, get a .22 and fire a few thousand rounds until you can hit a golfball at 150 yards. Then get a rifle and get out there. Drive to a dirt road and walk up a hill with binos and your gun. When you are puzzled about something, come back and ask a question. Repeat a few dozen times.

You don't need a mentor. You need a thirst for adventure and knowledge. People here can pass on knowledge but only you can create the adventure.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    My best advice, get a .22 and fire a few thousand rounds until you can hit a golfball at 150 yards. Then get a rifle and get out there.
    That makes sense, .22 rounds are cheapest, right .. hmmm
    But I was hoping to go out there with a Marlin in 30-30 .. 50 to 100 yards, brush .. we're not in the prairies

That makes sense, .22 rounds are cheapest, right .. hmmm
    But I was hoping to go out there with a Marlin in 30-30 .. 50 to 100 yards, brush .. we're not in the prairies
    Get good with the .22, then graduate to the 30-30. By the way, any reason in particular you chose 30-30? Not that it's a bad caliber, it's fine especially if you're shooting deer or black bear within 100ish yards but if you want to shoot moose or elk or you end up hunting in grizz country you probably want something with a bit more giddy-up.