Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting Jacket recommendations?

Re: Hunting Jacket recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I was at a point a few years ago after many of years of buying at Canadian Tire, Wal Mart, etc where the jackets simply did not perform well for the way I hunted. If you are a hunter who hikes a lot and works up a sweat, you need to develop a great layering system and be vigilant in dressing up and down based on activity level, or your jacket will get sweaty and when you stop you will get cold should your jacket not wick the moisture away effectively(especially later in the year when ambient temperatures are cooler). This can be tough, for example, you crest a ridge after climbing for 10 minutes and you see a deer, you hit the dirt and begin glassing. Next thing you know, 10 minutes later you are shivering as the sweat has now cooled significantly, making you uncomfortable and leading you to shift and become impatient and probably reacting in a way you wouldn't if you were dry and warm. That situation repeatedly happening to me finally drove me to buy a jacket that wicked moisture. That jacket has changed my perception of quality gear. I will never go back. That being said, I cannot regularily afford the aforementioned brands unless on sale.

All the companies previously mentioned have some great gear. Downside is cost. Kuiu is having a sale right now until the end of May where you would get 25% off, so basuically nullifying the currency differences. Beware the duties on KUIU, it adds significantly to overall cost. If you have a connection south of the border that you can ship to, it will save you money. Sitka and Firstlite in my opinion are only worth buying if on sale(Well come to think of it KUIU as well), otherwise WAY too expensive! Wholesale sports, Grouse river, Cabela's all have occasional sales where you can get some of these on sale. Patience and vigilance will save you a lot of money if you are not in a hurry. If you are not a huge hiker, Badlands and Under Armour will probably serve your purpose. Based on your location, Wholesale has a camo sale at least once a year, and they knock off a fair chunk off their Sitka gear as well as other camo. It may be worth waiting for.
    Which jacket did you eventually get? I like to hike too and getting sweaty and then freezing cold is not fun...

Wool baselayer, Stanfield and a Kuiu Guide jacket will do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    Which jacket did you eventually get? I like to hike too and getting sweaty and then freezing cold is not fun...
    Kuiu Guide jacket. Like I said, sale on now. If you have a friend across the line, he/she can save you a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
    Wool baselayer, Stanfield and a Kuiu Guide jacket will do it all.
    All great recommendations, my only caution is watch the wool. I use an underarmour base layer and if I put my stanfields (they rock) over that thin layer, I itch like crazy. The merrino wool is the best, but again I struggle to pay $100 plus for long underwear. Helly hansen are very good and can be picked up for about half that.

Good luck.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Kuiu Guide jacket. Like I said, sale on now. If you have a friend across the line, he/she can save you a bunch.

All great recommendations, my only caution is watch the wool. I use an underarmour base layer and if I put my stanfields (they rock) over that thin layer, I itch like crazy. The merrino wool is the best, but again I struggle to pay $100 plus for long underwear. Helly hansen are very good and can be picked up for about half that.

Good luck.
    I think kuiu's 25 off sale is if you spend more than 500

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    I think kuiu's 25 off sale is if you spend more than 500
    Sadly yep, 15% under that I think. I deleted it after a very quick look as I needed to avoid temptation Still cheaper than anything Sitka (most likely even on sale). Tough to swallow the original purchase, but I am pretty sure once you have one and use one, you will not regret it. I have had mine going on four years and it has weathered very well. I can't think of a rip or rub mark .
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Not planning on wearing it in a downpour (I carry a MEC rain jacket in my backpack), but want it to hold up to some light rain during a hunt.
    Lots of 'soft shell' jackets would do, in an earthy colour. Fleece or wool is quieter because of the pile, but hold more moisture and may be too warm.
    #1 rule about layering is take it off before the work starts, not after the sweat is on.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I used to use a soft shell but found i rarely brought it, i find them bulky and heavy for what they are. And when hiking they were usually too warm anyways. Now i just use some layering pieces and a rain shell is its wet.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I have a kuiu guide jacket in Large, vias camo, hardly worn at all, just a bit to small for me.
    Letting it go for 150.00 ,shipping on your dime
    If interested, I can send you pictures.
    PM'd you. I've been looking for that exact one.

I just picked up a Sitka jetstream jacket from wholesale for 50% off. It has performed better than expected in rain, cold and warm days. It has changed my opinion on high end clothing and I wont go back. I just need to get the pants now just waiting to see a sale.