Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubba boa snake

Hybrid View

Rubba boa snake

I was out doing some ridiculous bush whacking around through a drainage that runs through thick timber on the side of a bluff and came across this little guy... anyone ever see one of these? I knew they exist and the distribution map shows them around, but I have never come across one in my area.

Last edited by caddisguy; 05-15-2016 at 12:42 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rubba boa snake

They are cool snakes. I have only found them around Oliver. A green and a brown one.

Found 3 in the slocan valley. They apparently live a very long time and are pretty cool reptiles.
    I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales

Cool! You may wish to report your sighting

http://www.bcreptiles.ca/reportsightings.htm

Their low reproductive rate and the patchy distribution of habitat could reduce Rubber Boa populations to disconnected pockets of individuals. This in turn could make the species vulnerable to a loss of genetic diversity, and eventually to the loss of entire populations. For these reasons, the Rubber Boa is listed as a species of special concern federally. If you see a Rubber Boa, contact your local branch of the Ministry of the Environment

http://www.bcreptiles.ca/snakes/rubberboa.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    Cool! You may wish to report your sighting

http://www.bcreptiles.ca/reportsightings.htm

Their low reproductive rate and the patchy distribution of habitat could reduce Rubber Boa populations to disconnected pockets of individuals. This in turn could make the species vulnerable to a loss of genetic diversity, and eventually to the loss of entire populations. For these reasons, the Rubber Boa is listed as a species of special concern federally. If you see a Rubber Boa, contact your local branch of the Ministry of the Environment

http://www.bcreptiles.ca/snakes/rubberboa.htm

Tempting. I did a little more research and found the only sighting of a rubber boa in this area was in the 1940's. On one hand, the info could be useful to someone... on the other I'm not sure I want to give the GPS coordinates

Have seen a couple in the Vernon area

They are somewhat common in the West Kootenays. I've seen a half dozen or so in the last 10 years around Nelson. They are really interesting
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Been reading up on them a bit... apparently there are established populations around the WK, Williams Lake and Pemberton. Cool to see one out this way though. I think now that I know more about them I could probably find more with a bit of looking. East facing rocky slopes near drainages... evenings in the few spots where sun is able to penetrate the canopy during the last few hours of light... they'll be charging up for their nightly hunt

Super cool... Never even heard of them. I guess I will be on the lookout.

This is a large female I found on my driveway last year. Don't worry, we put her back where we found her.

I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever