Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Generator???????

Re: Honda Generator???????

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Stupid question, but did you purchase a genny with main purpose being to heat your tent? I'm going to assume we're not talking about a wall tent?
    I actually bought the Gen because its better to have and not need verses need and not have. So I'll use it for what ever need arises but the wife don't enjoy the cold so a heater for our kodiak canvas tent seems like an easy solution(albeit pricey). I would prefer wood stove or even the diesel heaters but they have issues all their own. We do also have the Mr buddy Big buddy but we all know the condensation issues those bring. There is no stove jack on the Kodiak tents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    What ya want to get is some.... Cabtyre ... From the eletrical distributers.. Make up your own cords. : )
    This site never disappoints ......Thx

Quote Originally Posted by knothead View Post
    The twist lock outlet is for direct plug in for your camper or RV and is generally used for RV's with AC and a big draw. the other outlets that are on the unit are plenty for the other uses that you stated, the biggest draw is your tent heater and at 1000 watts you can run it with a 12 ga wire assuming not over 50' You can use the twist lock plug if you make your own cord those plugs are readily available at most hardware stores.
    I read that you get the most out of the Gen buy using that 23.3 amp 3 prong socket and I've seen the adapter used and on the other end it splits into a 3 socket(lighted) that you could at least plug 3 things into(aware not to overload).

Quote Originally Posted by sparkes3 View Post
    we all know how easy it is to lose an adapter
    Lol....christ there's a good chance I'll lose the generator.

So more fuel for this thread.......bringing electricity into the tent I obviously need a ground fault circuit interrupter on the outlet side of things. this is like opening a pandoras box!

it will get stolen if its not chained on and maybe even if it is.
    the circuit protector is built in on mine
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by newfie bullet View Post
    So more fuel for this thread.......bringing electricity into the tent I obviously need a ground fault circuit interrupter on the outlet side of things. this is like opening a pandoras box!
    As far as Cab tyre goes, it's no all the same. For your use, I would suggest Carol Cable SJOOW 12/3. You will need to get this from an electrical wholesale place. it is more expensive, but worth the money in my mind. We use this cable in Industrial applications, and it stands up well. As far as a GFCI receptacle goes, I would rethink that idea. GFCI's are what they call "People Protection" and are usually used in bathrooms or outside house receptacles. The problem you are more than likely going to run into at some point, is nuisance tripping. If you get a small amount of condensation or moisture in your camp gear, chances are you will loose power. The small amount of moisture I am talking of is of no concern to your safety. GFCI's are very sensitive

Quote Originally Posted by sparkes3 View Post
    it will get stolen if its not chained on and maybe even if it is.
    the circuit protector is built in on mine
    Agreed....been looking at the "lowpro lockdown" and decided Ill go to a fabricator and build a similar device with a better lock for probably a similar price and just have it bolted to the truck bed. Ive also been thinking once bolted to truck bed use a shitty cardboard box of some type and disguise it as a box of garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    As far as Cab tyre goes, it's no all the same. For your use, I would suggest Carol Cable SJOOW 12/3. You will need to get this from an electrical wholesale place. it is more expensive, but worth the money in my mind. We use this cable in Industrial applications, and it stands up well. As far as a GFCI receptacle goes, I would rethink that idea. GFCI's are what they call "People Protection" and are usually used in bathrooms or outside house receptacles. The problem you are more than likely going to run into at some point, is nuisance tripping. If you get a small amount of condensation or moisture in your camp gear, chances are you will loose power. The small amount of moisture I am talking of is of no concern to your safety. GFCI's are very sensitive
    You I owe a beer or two! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by newfie bullet View Post
    You I owe a beer or two! Thanks.
    Good luck. Hope you stay warm and dry