Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mountain tripods

Re: Mountain tripods

I agree with Stonechaser. The store in Vanderhoof is top notch and very easy to deal with, even the guy who sits on this site and talks like he knows a lot about guns. They will match just about anybodys price and give you the item with a thanks and a smile. Have never experienced that at any of the stores in PG.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Sitka, You are right, except now that short white haired "know-it-all" (in reality know-nuthin) Frank is not working there anymore, so it is a bit more tolerable going in there nowadays.
    Stone Chaser, No bubble to be burst here. It is an HD. He had two of them, and they were the only two in stock. HD on the focus dial, HD on the box, and an HD serial number. For once, thay are the one's to be scathed! I dealt with him last year also. First I had a scrap with the "know-it-all" Frank, who tried to tell me that Winchester made the Model 700 until I finally told him he didn't know S#%T. Then he went beserk.
    I also tried to buy a mint consignment pre-64 model 70, in .30-06 from Andre and he wouldn't budge of off the asking price of $775. Nor should he have as the rifle was mint and gorgeous. He wouldn't even call the owner to make my offer. I left, and a week later stopped again on my way through town. Andre wasn't there this time and I bought the rifle from his wife for $657.50, (halfway between my offer and the minimum price she had noted down in a book somewhere.) I'll bet she got a talking to later that day when he found out!!!
    Hehehe, anyhow, sometimes a deal can be found there on the right day.
    CLINT

I have not and likely never will make any major purchases there. Every time I go in and ask about a certain product I end up in an arguement with them. All they seem to know is what the selling price is, and have no product knowledge-I end up educating the staff on their products from my own research. Like mod7rem said, you have to go in knowing exactly what you want and what you can get it for elsewhere. I usually give them a shot at my business, but they have yet to capture it...

Lack of "product knowledge" hit the nail on the head there. AND, especially when "Frank the Jackass" was there, arguments were the norm. It feels all the better when you beat them at their own game and get a helluvadeal. Also, they are short handed right now, only him and his wife he told me, so if anyone with knowledge and customer service skills in the PG area wants a job in the industry, nows the time.
    AND, not to hijack my own thread but have ya'll ever met "Wayne the Jackass" at Chilcotin guns. I think the owner Al is alright and has always been fair with me, but that sawed-off little helper he's got there really gets under a fellas skin! Talk about "know-it-alls". He does have some knowledge in his products, but, the snotty tone and manner in which he tells you makes you want to choke the little runt! And all the better if he does read this post. Telling him in person, face to face, didn't work.
    Last edited by Whisky Creek; 06-09-2007 at 09:25 PM. Reason: clarification

just picked up the manfrotto 718SHB from Kerrisdale Camera.I am replacing a bushnell field tripod.Thanks for the recommendations guys one nice tripod.RB

How do the manfrotto 714shb and the 718shb compare? Looking at their website the 714 is lighter and more compact but it seems most people on here perfer the 718. Is the 714 not as sturdy as the 718? Or is it the head on the 718 that makes the difference? I guess im just curious to know why people would go for the 718 versues the 714.

h4l

How do the manfrotto 714shb and the 718shb compare? Looking at their website the 714 is lighter and more compact but it seems most people on here perfer the 718. Is the 714 not as sturdy as the 718? Or is it the head on the 718 that makes the difference? I guess im just curious to know why people would go for the 718 versues the 714.
    You need to take into consideration the weight of your optics... I don't think the 714 would properly support a 3lb Zeiss or Swaro. You need to have something steady and stable.

Happy Hunting!
    Carl