Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Getting a jet boat let's see your set up and ideas

Re: Getting a jet boat let's see your set up and ideas

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    Lots of good American built boats out there. For the water I like to run I wouldn't consider anything else. I'm not a shallow water guy, hate doing repairs, and the fish is better in deeper water. Many good Canadian builders too but tend to be much better shallow water boats and that's just not my enjoyment. However I would never recommend a sport jet over a V8. Just simple economics
    Considering a boat for hunting or fishing is two different options. As the post started he is looking for a boat for hunting and from my experience and from what i've seen Sportjets are the preferred engine/pump set-up. Why? Weight usually is the biggest reason.
    Look at what type of hunting you're looking to do - skinny water jet boating is like sheep hunting where you pack light, but if you're looking for deeper water/main channel a bigger V8 boat may better suit your needs. Compare it to hunting off a quad or hunting out of a truck, which one is easier to get unstuck?? Plus you're not considering a jetboat so you can hunt the main waterways.
    Many of the Canadian manufacturers like Firefish/Outlaw etc build boats that will last in the local waterways, and if you need a repair they are nearby and for hunting its the only way to go.

I just bought a used 19' marathon a few months ago for cheap with a dead 350. I am thinking of spending the extra bucks and having a tunnel built and going with a sport jet. As others have mentioned lighter weight means easier to push off sandbars, easier to tow around with my 1/2 ton, and also I should gain at roughly a foot of room inside the boat with the much smaller doghouse. I also should gain at least 2 gallons per hours fuel economy vs V8 which means less fuel to pack around. All in all I don't really see the downside of the sportjet other than estimated lifespan and initial cost. I can get a good used low hour 350 marine motor for about $4-6k, a new sport jet with tunnel costs is about $14k out the door). I have some dent/paint repairs and trailer work to do first so I can ponder these things for a while longer before making a decision.

I've just read this thread have a question for fishing/hunting light in skinny water.

Is there a reason a light welded Jon boat style of boat with an outboard jet that is easy to push off gravel is not being talked about?

I used to run around with my brother in his 16' Jon boat with jet tunnel, centre console we ran some very shallow, super skinny water and it was always easy to drag it off gravel.

He was living in Prince Rupert at the time.

I'm limited for parking space with a 20' container, three pickups, car, 4 trailers and a camper in the driveway so don't have room to store a heavy full size boat right now = I'm looking at buying a 15' - 16' Jon boat with the biggest outboard jet that will fit it.

Not sure if I want a tiller or a centre console I do really like the pipe centre console in that inflatable boat posted in the start of the thread.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
    I've just read this thread have a question for fishing/hunting light in skinny water.

Is there a reason a light welded Jon boat style of boat with an outboard jet that is easy to push off gravel is not being talked about?

I used to run around with my brother in his 16' Jon boat with jet tunnel, centre console we ran some very shallow, super skinny water and it was always easy to drag it off gravel.

He was living in Prince Rupert at the time.

I'm limited for parking space with a 20' container, three pickups, car, 4 trailers and a camper in the driveway so don't have room to store a heavy full size boat right now = I'm looking at buying a 15' - 16' Jon boat with the biggest outboard jet that will fit it.

Not sure if I want a tiller or a centre console I do really like the pipe centre console in that inflatable boat posted in the start of the thread.
    The type of boat you mention is great for Sandy or gravel rivers. Most BC rivers are rocky free stone rivers. A light Jon boat will not hold up to hitting rocks. They also can't pack that much weight which is not great for hunting trips.

For fishing, such a boat will be fine if you choose your waters carefully and avoid the big rocks.

I've had an Explorer Industries 162 DC for the past few years, with a little 70hp Yamaha 4 stroke pushing it. I love it, the only thing I wish was better was its ability to turn sharp without manipulating the throttle... that said, its a very minor thing.

It doesn't have any bells and whistles, there is no heat, no full windshield or camper top so you are exposed to the elements. However the boat is only 700lbs, so two guys can push it around no problem. The little 4 stroke sips fuel which I love the most.

Is it bulletproof? No, but if you learn how to run your boat and wait till your at camp to drink its a lot easier to miss the rocks. I just got back from the Turnagain bear hunting, and we ran up the Dall River part way, and my boat only used 200 litres of gas - about half of what my dads 350 burned. Sure we couldn't pack as much - but I'm young and don't need much in the mountains.

View from camp on the Turnagain, looking south at the Sharktooth range.

Dall River

I really like this setup.

I sent them an email requesting pricing but have not heard back from them yet.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    Wow dude you are all about you?Maybe you should upgrade your welding tickets and stay "Down Under" Cheers
    ha ha there is no higher than what i am buthead yes i am home now

i went down there 27 years ago too teach boat building ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    I hear good things about Fire Fish......
    redid the whole bottom on one 2 years ago all the welds were cracked 30 hours on it ha ha to you sell ICBC at Wallmart

well does not this tell the story i have been gone and the blind is still trying to help the blind daaaaaa? he said she said but i do not know ha ha wow this site is too low even for fun anymore new post i have i think a in grown hair on my butt need help