Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting a jet boat let's see your set up and ideas

Getting a jet boat let's see your set up and ideas

As the post says. I'm in the market for a jet boat. I'd like to see the setups out there and here the pros and cons of using a jet boat for hunting. Hearing some hard luck stories could add some good preparation ideas to.
    Thanks guys

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Getting a jet boat let's see your set up and ideas

Ok, I'll start. I've been around boats a lot of my life including jet boats. I lived in Pr Rupert for many years and was out and about in many different jet boats up a lot of rivers between Rupert and Terrace. This past fall a good buddy had a new boat built here in PG and off we three go to the mighty Muskwa. We launched at the usual spot and ran all day dropping fuel along the way. I dreamed about this my whole life. Now I was a beach and pool lifeguard in my teens and 35 yrs a paramedic the last 20 being advanced life support then critical care on the medivac aircraft out of PG and having seen the resulting screw-ups(accidents) enough this last trip was not as fun as I wanted it rto be. Not long after passing the Tachodi we beached on a gravel bar, no big deal I had to get out and pack the winch to shore. It was the next few times way up the river where log jams prevailed with multiple bends that freaked me out. The water was low and common sense told me this was not good. It worked out ok but I will say my wish for a jet boat went away. Phenomenal country but in my mind not for the faint of heart. My captain was new to this and no doubt there is a real technique in shallow water as the fellow from the company Bridger recently advertised for sale showed us as we saw him several times making it look easy. Practise lots in your new boat.

I've got an outboard jet. Don't bother unless your budget is brutally small. Weight means power which means fuel like running a big block muscle car on the highway. Don't buy a bus for your friends unless you are wealthy. Sport jet, heavy thick bottom, short length to save weight. Pushing 2000lbs off a gravel bar sucks. 3500lbs makes you drive it like a stern drive, which negates a jet boat cost. You will hit bottom, unless you drive it like an ocean boat, which means you shouldn't pay for the inefficiency of a jet. The previous poster was correct about learning to drive it. You need to be cautious, but not hesitant. Keep your brain working but remember if you get off the throttle you loose steerage and usually hit bottom. If you buy a factory boat like Kingfisher etc you will be scared of tearing up your boat(with good reason) and so lacking confidence will be too hesitant, thus ending up grounded anyway. Think of it as a 2 seat UTV capacity wise and buy accordingly. Ignore my advice if you can drop $90k and $50+/hr fuel costs. I'm not bsing the fuel costs, 12gal/hr=$45.60@$1/l. To approach 5gal/hr you need a tiny sport jet powered creek runner. Just my opinion of course.
    Last edited by emerson; 05-08-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Speaking of which, if you're in the market for a jet boat and plan on running skinny water, a call to Kevin Willis at RJA would be a good call. Super knowledgeable guy who's done it all in a jet boat.

I work at a boat shop and recently we sold a 15ft AB Profile aluminum hull boat fitted with a Yamaha 40 HP Jet Drive.
    Installed tons of rod holders, custom anchor bracket, 2 Smooth Moves suspension seats, console and a bunch of other stuff.
    The buyer will be using it for steal head fishing on rivers and also on Chilco Lake.
    So far the feedback we got is very positive.

WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Some more photos:

WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

An inflatable wouldn't last 5 minutes the way I drive my boat.

Gets you to some great country, but there's getting to be more and more boats... Not quite what it once was I'm told.

Many mishaps are due to poor preparation, inexperience, or both. Having said that, anything can happen, and often does... It's how you deal with the shit flying off the fan that counts.
    Last edited by ryanb; 05-08-2016 at 08:23 PM.

ryanb - tell me more about your jet boat - whats it powdered by ? boat lenght ? roughly the load capacity " safely " ? Thks RJ

There's so many more boats out there now, up north gets pretty packed as well, and also put on a hundred hours or so running shallow with someone that is familiar with doing so.. If you only want to go hunting get. 16 ft with a sportjet
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I hear good things about Fire Fish......