Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Salmon closures coming???

Re: Salmon closures coming???

not so keen on irradiated salmon myself..japan nuclear still leaking into the pacific and there is next to zero info on radiation levels...as numbers on the runs continue to drop...

conspiracy or fact?? wheres the info?

takla

Over a decade of relentless drift netting 24/7 has done untold damage to early chinook stocks. The late summer stocks are booming (coincidentally, just when the sockeye are coming in heavy, if you get my drift), but long gone are the days of fishing chinooks in May June and July.

Changing from Fed jurisdiction to the Province won't change a thing, and may actually make the situation even more dire.

Currently, FN are looking to delay the sport chinook fishery and are looking for a greater slice "in compensation" for the expected low sockeye return. It is anticipated there will be an August 1 sport fishing opening. That should make a few people have a little "mouth throw-up".

Frickin FN's have been seining the sockeye runs every year in the river when no one else has had an opening. They are getting to good at it and conservation is not happening. So now what happens, lets see runs are in trouble, now they cant fish for sockeye, so lets take all the springs because we are the keepers of the rivers and of the land. PATHETIC!

My fingers are crossed for my one rod caught chinook that I get each year. Sports fisherman are clearly not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    Funny how the commercial guys are getting blasted here and they didn't ask for anything in regards to this article. There hasn't been a commercial fishery in the waters mentioned for probably 20 years in May June July. If you see a "vacuum cleaner" working those waters it will be fishing "food fish" for one of the bands. It's going to be worse this year because I understand they can now legally sell it. I haven't seined for 20 years as I could see the writing on the wall. The commercial guys fought it all the way to the supreme court and actually won but still lost.
    At the time we had no support from sports fishermen because they thought even if the natives won sporties would gain. So commercial salmon fishermen are quickly been displaced by First Nations, and they do not give a rats ass about resident sports fishermen. Does this remind you of another allocation issue that we are involved in? And remember DFO's mandate for fisheries is escapement, First Nations,Sports,Commercial. You should be paying attention to who you're behind. Good Luck in your fight but as I once told a sporty years ago "one day you'll be buying your licence from the band office". That is where this is going.

Thanks Keta, Well said . I was a vacumn cleaner commie for 30 years before retiring in 2000 and then ran a sports lodge for the next 10. It has always amazed me how Sports and Commercial fisherman could not get together and fight the common fight. DFO does a great job of divide and conquer though
    Pull the trigger all the way back.

With the resent resignation of the Federal Fisheries minister who's either a drunk or drug addict I can only imagine the outcome

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/vi...ylistPageNum=1
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

Which will "prompt" nothing from the fez.

Ok time to fight back, I'm going to suggest a ban on fishing nets in the Fraser and surrounding areas. Let's start writing the news papers ect, maybe a petition or two. Let's start calling for a ban on the native net fishing on the Fraser. Let's prove with facts and figures how "they" have decimated the stocks all on their own! A Hook and line fishery only will never deplete the stocks! let's organize a protest and make ourselves heard ! Anyone else have ideas?