Thread: The Turkey Search

The Turkey Search

My goodness. This year has been an adventure looking for these birds people say are everywhere. This is I think my dads and my eighth year hunting spring turkey and we have never had this much trouble. We've traveled from Kamloops to Rock Creek, Grand Forks, Trail, Canbrook, Newgate and now we're starting our journey back West. We've put on 1107km as I write this from Cranbrook. We've seen four hens so far, about 25 elk and many many deer. Last year we took our bows across the border into NE Washington and would have had a bird had it not (kind of) flown off the bank with my arrow into a coyotes mouth (I'm not joking. We couldn't believe it either). Forgot to apply for firearm transport permits so we could take them into Washington this year so here we are in BC! Love the Koots though, haven't spent much time here. Camping is great, company with my Dad is great, weather is fantastic. It's turning into quite the camping road trip, but a bird or two would be nice! Does anyone have suggestions before we throw in the towel and go gold panning and try to eat the rest of the food we packed?Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The Turkey Search

Quite a few birds around Cranbrook. Surprised you didn't have any luck around Trail as that place is littered with birds. The Toms will be getting easier to call in as many of the hens have been nesting for some time already.
    What you do for yourself dies with you. What you do for others lives long after you're gone.

T.R.

Wrong place wrong time I suppose then eh? Strange. Well, we're headed back towards Trail area now. Normally we've seen birds on the move throughout the day but this year have only seen hens and only in the mornings. I would think that the toms would be especially active trying to round up the remainder of the hens that aren't sitting. We usually hunt the week from opening day so maybe that's playing a part in it. I have no idea but we're both feeling skunked. But, we shall keep trying!

Try knocking on some doors out that way. People were generally receptive when I was out there a few years ago.
    What you do for yourself dies with you. What you do for others lives long after you're gone.

T.R.

Only person we asked was a farmer where we saw birds. He wasn't exactly respectful despite us being! Oh well. Onward!

I have a daughter that lives in Trail and she said if you want to see wild turkeys just go to the garbage dump. That was about 15 years ago they probably don't even have a dump any more. I've seen a few around Armstrong and some between Christina lake and Trail.

Admitting defeat. Dad has come down with bronchitis or pneumonia or something so we're camping one more night in Rock Creek area then heading home. Thanks for the info guys! Good luck on your searches if you go out!