Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bow hunting noob needs advise

Re: Bow hunting noob needs advise

All else being equal, a fixed blade will penetrate deeper because with mechanical, some of the energy that the arrow produces is used up to open the broadhead. The problem with using fixed though is that shooting form, and bow tuning has to be right on, or there will be some broadhead planing.

Have you ever watched Wild TV and saw how shallow many arrows penetrate? That's what you don't want. I've only used fixed broadheads and of the 7 deer and one 450 lb black bear that I shot, all were complete pass throughs. That's perfect performance, IMO.

That makes sense. I don't have wild TV. The hootin' and hollerin' and poor shootin' turned me right off of it.
    I was looking at broad heads the other day and there's one hell of a lot of selection...2 blade, 3 blade, 4 blade, twisted blades, long blades, short blades...holy crap.
    Any advice on that subject?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

lots of good broadheads out there. Nothing wrong with any of the Slick Tricks.
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

All great advice here. Those G5 Montec broadheads look like they are pretty lethal. I want to try them. I've used 125 gr Thunderheads for many years and have pass-throughs on every kind of animal I've shot. Practice the 3-d's that are on the roughest terrain to cover most hunting situations. Practice till it becomes a natural function of your body and you don't have to think about it. Practice estimating distances till you are within a meter or two in your hunting range. You will be surprised at how many times you don't have a chance of using a rangefinder if you have one. Rangefinders are not guaranteed. II missed a deer because I trusted my rangefinder over my own estimate. It was my fault all along as I'd ranged the tree behind the deer in my excitement. Crucial point is to not take marginal shots - like quartering to and frontal. Good luck and don't be intimidated.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Fixed blade over mechanical, why?
    I haven't bought broad heads yet, so more knowledge is good!

went to the 3D shoot...screwed up on how to score in the morning, so we did better than our scores reflected. I ruined a few arrows, and owe a few beer for missed shots. Was one hell of a good time though!
    May.7/8................................................. .Campbell.River................................... .......................Steve.or.Sonora............ 250-202-0037..or..myclan@telus.net

June.4/5..........................................Cowicha n..Hell.Hole...................................... .................Bryan................250-709-4861..or..bryanharper74@gmail.com

June.10/11/12............................................Nana imo.Summer.Classic................................ ................Larry............................. ..........................250-753-3695
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

It's personal preference with broad heads . But I will say my rage hypodermics two blade cut through two ribs and severed the spine of a deer at 30 yards.
    Shot a bear at 26 yards with a fixed blade and penetration was about a foot, upon inspection of the arrow the broadhead shattered. POS in my opinion. Rage alllllll the way.
    perseverance pays off

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    That makes sense. I don't have wild TV. The hootin' and hollerin' and poor shootin' turned me right off of it. e, twisted blades, long blades, short blades...holy crap.
    Any advice on that subject?
    I recommend a durable 3-blade cut on impact style, such as the Montec G5.

Just make sure you understand about broadhead planing before you just screw them on and go. Fixed broad heads act like a wing to steer your arrow if your arrow isnt the perfect tune. Shoot lots with the actual broad heads before hand. I didn't, major mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Is there anywhere else in Victoria other than island outfitters I should be looking for archery equipment? I'm happy with the service, just wondering if I have options.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

A question to you BOW experts..
    is it possible to attach a reel or? to bow and have the arrow on a line? like a braided 50lb test?
    close range , say about under a hundred feet.