Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bow hunting noob needs advise

Bow hunting noob needs advise

I want to bow hunt. I have a PSE stinger X. I'm shooting every couple of days, for 45-60 minutes. It's been set up for me by Joanne at island outfitters, and is at max draw weight (60lbs I believe). I'm confident in my abilities, but not in my equipment.
    Am I under-gunned (so to speak) for spring bear?
    I can see a difference in penetration on the target bags between 30 and 40 yards, am I going to be running out of energy to get a good strike at 40+ yards?
    What advise would you have for a first time Bow hunter?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bow hunting noob needs advise

You are not underbowed for anything except maybe grizzly, sharp broadheads and shot placement are much more important. If your not sure if a broadside shot presents both lungs don't take the shot.
    I prefer fixed blades over mechanical. Make sure you practice with the style of broadheads you will use to actually hunt with.
    Also for real world bow hunting scenarios practice shooting from kneeling, sitting with your back to a tree, off camber ect, I have passed on a lot of animals because I was not comfortable in the position I was in when it was time to draw.
    Patience , going slow and using the wind is your biggest tips for success. I've shot bear with full camo on, my uncle right behind me had on running shoes, blue jeans and a red hoodie. Movement and wind make all the difference in the world.

3D shoot in Victoria tomorrow. You should go. Great practice! You're gear should be fine, as mentioned by allan, good (and sharp) broadheads, and shot placement is the key. Peeps, shoot bear with recurves, so your compound should do just fine. What's your arrow weight and draw length?

an interesting read here.

http://www.bear-hunting.com/2014/5/m...shot-placement
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

My brother and I are gonna be at the range tomorrow for the 3D shoot. What's it cost to play anyway??
    practicing with the broad heads I'm going to use...how the heck do I get broad heads out of the practice bag?!?
    draw length is 29.5" and I don't know what my arrows weigh.

You have plenty of bow. My son took his first archery bear at 30 yds using a bow that was set to 24" draw, 40lbs...pushing a 280 grain arrow at 240 fps. with a sharp 2 blade broadhead it broke a rib going in and got a clean pass thru...you will be fine.

a little advice if I may....seeing as you are a first time bow hunter you may want to limit your range on shots. whatever your group size on the range, you can generally at least double it in the field with uneven ground, animal close to you, wind, weather etc.

Good Luck!
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Black is my choice for clothing when hunting black bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    My brother and I are gonna be at the range tomorrow for the 3D shoot. What's it cost to play anyway??
    practicing with the broad heads I'm going to use...how the heck do I get broad heads out of the practice bag?!?
    draw length is 29.5" and I don't know what my arrows weigh.
    buy a couple practice tip broadheads , my rage broadheads came with a couple . Yours may have too?
    perseverance pays off

Oh, get a foam target for broad head target practice, if you shoot at a reg bag the bag will be destroyed in short order, and it's next to impossible to pull broad heads out....

The three keys to positive results on game are, shot placement, the use of sharp, fixed-blade broadheads, and a perfectly tuned bow with near perfect shooting form. If the arrow is flying perfectly "true", your set-up will shine. Practice out to 60 yards but expect to limit shots on game to much closer. Good luck. When you connect, it will be very rewarding.

Fixed blade over mechanical, why?
    I haven't bought broad heads yet, so more knowledge is good!

went to the 3D shoot...screwed up on how to score in the morning, so we did better than our scores reflected. I ruined a few arrows, and owe a few beer for missed shots. Was one hell of a good time though!