Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Archery Kill (last December)

First Archery Kill (last December)

Hey guys, i'm a long-time lurker.
    Lots of people know much more than I do and respond to a lot of peoples' posts- so I usually don't feel a need to chime in, especially with such good advice already posted up!

Anyway, I picked up a compound bow a few years ago, shot it like crazy every chance I got, until I am comfortable out to about 30yds. Comfortable aiming at a living target anyway. That first year (2013) I didn't hunt with the bow, still building confidence. In 2014 I actually took the bow for a few walks in the bush, just on the off chance that I might run into something. I had a few close calls where I was doing really well at sneaking up on a doe, but got too greedy and moved too quickly - spooked her off. Learned a lesson about moving slower after that!

Last year though, I actually made an effort and told myself that I was really and truly "hunting" with my bow.. not just taking it for a walk. Well, I went out December 1st in the bow season and had an unfruitful day. I went out again on the 5th, and *really* slowed down. As I was creeping through the bush (Region 4 East Kootenays) I noticed two does browsing and walking in a southerly direction. The wind was coming from the west, and if I continued to stay where I was, they'd make me for sure. So I ducked down behind some scrub and moved about half a kilometer south, and then worked east a bit, hoping to get in front of them. After glassing for an eternity (30 seconds) I was unable to find them anywhere in the bush where I thought they might be.

Frustrated, I continued East, slowly and quietly (I had a friend give me some advice, if you move fast enough that you start sweating, slow down.. and then slow down some more!) and crested a small hill, with scrub bush littering the top of it. Down the hill on the other side, I noticed movement! Two does!! And they don't know i'm here!! Heart rate goes thru the roof! Duck back down behind the scrub and whip out the range finder.. there was a tall tree right next to them. Ranged the tree at 33 yards - perfect! I knocked an arrow, crept forward to the edge of the scrub, drew the bow and stood up as slowly as I could (another eternity here), lined up on the doe that was just slightly quartering away from me and let loose! Whack! And off she ran. It was so quiet, I could hear the thump thump thump of her running away, even over my own heartbeat thundering in my head. I heard a final large "whump" and knew she was down somewhere to the north of me.

I found a good spot, and sat down for a good 20 eternities (20 minutes or so) until I couldn't handle waiting any more. As soon as I got up to start tracking, I spooked the original two does I was stalking!! Scared the crap outta me, they were only about 15 yds away, and I had no idea. Sneaky *******s. After recovering my arrow, I tracked north about 50 yards and found my doe. Field dressed her up, slung her over my shoulder and made the trek back to the truck. About 3km. That felt like an hour at least - had to take a few breaks. Plopping her down on the tailgate was one of the biggest reliefs in my life.

I know it was just a doe, but i'm no trophy hunter (and i'm also still very new to hunting, this doe was only my 3rd big game tag filled)- i'm just looking to fill up the freezer and supply the girlfriend and myself with some good meat!

Thanks to all of you who contribute here, this forum is full of good stuff! Hope my story wasn't too wordy.
    Not sure if i'm hooked on archery hunting, but I had a great experience, and hope I can repeat this year with a nice mule deer buck that I spooked last year while stomping around out in the woods!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Archery Kill (last December)

Great story!!

I enjoy the description, feels like I was there with you!!

I don't believe you because there are no pics

Great to hear of your experience and your success. If you want to get together and talk bowhunting strategy, send me a PM.

No such thing as "just a doe" - especially with a bow! Congrats. Sounds like you are on your way. Stalking successfully is, for me, the most rewarding way to hunt. Good luck in the future and thanks for posting
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    No such thing as "just a doe" - especially with a bow!
    X2 - Congrats!
    Hunter | Hunting/Wildlife Photographer
    www.nicktrehearne.com

Thanks for sharing your great story!! Congrats on your deer!

great story...don't be apologetic (or overly modest) about such an awesome success.....

Perfect! Well done and good write up... pictures?
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I agree as above. Great story and no such thing as just a doe. Fantastic!!
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.