Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single or multipin sight's. what do you use?

Single or multipin sight's. what do you use?

Hey guys, so I'm brand new to archery. I was going to pick up a hoyt powermax kit but found a good deal on a used hoyt factor 30 so have gone that route instead. The bow is coming with just a qad hdx rest so it leaves my options open for sight/stabilizer/quiver etc.
    I have been reading tons of threads on archerytalk and various other blog/review type sites but most seem to be down in the USA and treestand hunters with very different terrain than here in BC.
    From the bows that i have been looking at in various stores all had either 3 or 5 pin sights. The 5 pin's seem cluttered to me right now, is it something that you get used too? Have looked into pros/cons of both but would really appreciate some input/advice etc from people that hunt here and have maybe switched or tried both.
    Planning to head to Boormans to purchase the accessories and set up the bow and get some lessons whilst I'm at it. Then practise, practise,practice!
    Any help or recommendations is very much appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Single or multipin sight's. what do you use?

Have you tried wayne at big game archery...

5 pin sight, 5 arrow tight spot quiver when hunting.

I put my quiver back on 2 months before bow season and sight in using broad heads.

Bring broad head target in camp and use it.
    Temp and elevation seem to effect bow, practice.

Your max range is what you can group within a 6 inch plate.

Aim small, miss small .

Make your shot on deer ,when their head is down feeding or looking away !

Use the wind to your advantage,be aware of thermals!

Also Recommend Wayne at Big Game Archery.
    Last edited by SWD; 06-09-2016 at 08:06 PM.

5 pin sight and practice at every chance. Daily if possible.

Boormans sells HHA sights now. They are a really good single pin moveable sight. I switched to a moveable sight last year and like it a lot but I haven't shot the compound bow much these days. Mostly longbow for me now.

I use a single moveable pin for target only. Reason is you have all day to set the yardage.
    4-5 pin sight, know your limit and stay within it, is much simpler to use in hunting situations where yardage changes every step you take or your quarry takes. There's a lot going on when you draw the bow and moving a pin just adds to the list of must do's to make the shot.
    My only suggestion for multi pin sights is make sure the pins vary in color.
    Eventually with enough practice your brain shuts out all but the pin you have chosen to make the shot.. Part of the aim small, miss small sequence.

The HHA single pins was one on my list to have a look at. Multi pin i was looking towards maybe the Spot Hogg Hunter and the Trophy Ridge React Pro. Rather have metal over plastic even if it means a weight increase for durability.
    Any recommendations for other multi pins to look into?
    I have heard of big game archery, but as I'm currently living in DT Vancouver its a bit further out to get to past boormans. I have spoken to Boormans over the phone a couple of times and the lady went out of her way to help/answer questions.

Quote Originally Posted by SWD View Post
    5 pin sight, 5 arrow tight spot quiver when hunting.

I put my quiver back on 2 months before bow season and sight in using broad heads.

Bring broad head target in camp and use it.
    Temp and elevation seem to effect bow, practice.

Your max range is what you can group within a 6 inch plate.

Aim small, miss small .

Make your shot on deer ,when their head is down feeding or looking away !

Use the wind to your advantage,be aware of thermals!

Also Recommend Wayne at Big Game Archery.
    This x2, you will outgrow a 3 pin very quickly if you like to shoot. typically a pin for every 10 yds past the 20. I have a 7 pin and shoot out to 80 yards on a good day, just for fun. the longest shot on an animal I've ever taken was 37 yards. all the rest under 25.

I used to hunt with an HHA and I loved it

triing a Trophy ridge react sight this year on my Hoyt Vector Turbo ... Its surprisingly close ... close enought for hunting anyway
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

The best advise I have for you regarding sights is to make certain that the one you choose completely encloses the fiber optics. Otherwise you WILL break the little *******s off and spoil at least part of your hunt. Yes experience speaking...
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."