Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Spot, In Reach, Sat Phone - what to get ??

Re: Spot, In Reach, Sat Phone - what to get ??

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Garmin bought inreach? Hmmmmmm
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread. Anything new with the garmin takeover? Ideally I'd like to have a combo inreach and gps in one unit that would accept a backroad mapbook sd card... so I wouldn't have to take both up into the mountains. Anything like that come out yet?

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Chaser View Post
    Spot will do exactly that.
    If you choose you can also turn on the Track feature so whoever you choose will be able to see where you are at all times. To me it's a good option as it gives SAR a better idea of where to start looking if you miss an end of the day check in or you get hurt and aren't able to activate your Spot.
    That said I went in reach as don't have to pat the annual fee. Pay as you need and minimal mthly fee when it's sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Have been avoiding this for years but with advancing age and retirement allowing me unlimited free time, I figure it's time.
    I like to take off alone either from our Hope house or the Tulameen "cabin" and head off into the woods. Virtually zero cell phone service where I go. Everything from cruising the FRS's in the truck or via ATV, scouting for this year's hunting season, fly fishing small mountain streams, snow shoeing, 10 k dog walks and yes, hunting. I can be a couple of km from either of the residences or 100 km away.
    Have done all the above plus mountain biking and camping throughout BC for decades but generally with someone. Now I enjoy going solo but advancing age and being responsible ( comes with age ) to the family, I want to be able to make contact, and be found if something happens. I'm in great physical condition ( questionable mental ) but the tricky back or hip could leave me in trouble. I do go out well prepared.
    A Buddy that I work out and play hockey with is in the local S&R and says they all have In Reach. Any suggestions / recommendations?
    Not really interested in sending emails, surfing the 'net and such, just want to notify and be located.
    Both residences have WiFi if that helps in the decision making process.

Thank you for asking! I have been debating this like a mad man and everywhere I look there is no solid choice...

Thank you everyone for the thoughts / first hand info.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberjack View Post
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread. Anything new with the garmin takeover? Ideally I'd like to have a combo inreach and gps in one unit that would accept a backroad mapbook sd card... so I wouldn't have to take both up into the mountains. Anything like that come out yet?

TJ
    Lasy time I was on the Inreach site, both the SE and explorer had completely redesigned models called "Plus" IIRC. Not sure what actual internal changes come in the new format, but might be worth looking into.

Me, I'm still really happy with my 4 y/o InReach SE. Just used it on another 2 week sheep hunt with no issues. The location specific weather update was actually pretty accurate as well. Used that a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlydick View Post
    thinking the same lately. my 1st choice is a 406 plb. followed with a sat phone.
    No fees involved, but limited to a limited satellite signal only.

Current deal at gpscity.ca on the old Delorme inReach for $299. Old model but works the same as the new one. I'm hoping/betting that soon Garmin will combine the RINO and inReach together - mapping/gps/FRS/Sat coms all together...awesome - hoping to see this.
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...

You really need your iPhone along with your InReach anyway as it allows you to text more efficiently, is your camera, alarm, and GPS. Buy the GAIA GPS app for the phone and have aerial photos and roads or whatever maps you like (Topo) to use.

I like like my InReach for two way messaging but I really like the phone as a GPS a lot better than the five Garmin GPS units that have failed on me.

Quote Originally Posted by selvir View Post
    Not Trying high-jack the thread but does anyone know if The New In Reach with GPS can it be used without subscription (the GPS) or ?
    What i see u subscribe and have certain number of trucks and then they charge you??? Can anyone that uses or have used clarify on it?
    Thanks

Since their plans say
    3495/Mo

• Includes

• 100 Texts or Basic Forecasts
      • 200 Tracks
      • SOS Messages

• Additional Fees

• 50¢/Text or Basic Forecast
      • 10¢/Track
      • $1.29/Premium Forecast
      • $1.99/Premium Marine Forecast
    You can use it without a subscription. GPS only.

I"m currently getting updates via Inreach from Tod bartell, who is out doing some scouting. It's pretty cool.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Inreach all the way. This will be my 3rd fall with one and no complaints.