Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spot, In Reach, Sat Phone - what to get ??

Spot, In Reach, Sat Phone - what to get ??

Have been avoiding this for years but with advancing age and retirement allowing me unlimited free time, I figure it's time.
    I like to take off alone either from our Hope house or the Tulameen "cabin" and head off into the woods. Virtually zero cell phone service where I go. Everything from cruising the FRS's in the truck or via ATV, scouting for this year's hunting season, fly fishing small mountain streams, snow shoeing, 10 k dog walks and yes, hunting. I can be a couple of km from either of the residences or 100 km away.
    Have done all the above plus mountain biking and camping throughout BC for decades but generally with someone. Now I enjoy going solo but advancing age and being responsible ( comes with age ) to the family, I want to be able to make contact, and be found if something happens. I'm in great physical condition ( questionable mental ) but the tricky back or hip could leave me in trouble. I do go out well prepared.
    A Buddy that I work out and play hockey with is in the local S&R and says they all have In Reach. Any suggestions / recommendations?
    Not really interested in sending emails, surfing the 'net and such, just want to notify and be located.
    Both residences have WiFi if that helps in the decision making process.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spot, In Reach, Sat Phone - what to get ??

In-Reach....

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    In-Reach....
    Short and to the point.
    Any particular reasons why that's the choice over the others?

In Reach used all of them like this the best.

Small built in GPS, compass ,can be paired via bluetooth to an ios or android device and i have never missed a message.

It would be a bit better if you could call a number direct from the unit as it stands now you have to have contacts stored before you head out.But not a big deal with a little preplanning.
    Last edited by Buck; 04-23-2016 at 09:27 AM.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

inreach. the spot only receives messages. inreach is in and out messaging as well as mapping and gps functions if you get the explorer model.

X4 Inreach SE. Have had spots and Sat phone in the past. InReach Se replaced them both

Not trying to hijack the thread but at times I have also thought I should have an in-reach. What are the quality of the in-reach maps say compared to a handheld gps unit?

thinking the same lately. my 1st choice is a 406 plb. followed with a sat phone.

As of now the inreach doesn't have maps I believe, its just tracking and way points.

Being that Garmin scooped up Delorme, I'd expect some pretty skookum all in one units in the near future.

Reason I suggested InReach, is because they simply WORK and they're 2-way. I'm also fair certain you can add contacts on the fly, just not change your emergency contacts if you press SOS, as in the people InReach contacts for you.