Thread: Mallard ducklings out

Mallard ducklings out

I seen a group of mallard ducklings out with mom today, they were swimming in a ditch out near chilliwack. Noticed lately mostly only seeing drakes so the hens must be sitting on eggs. Dry spring should be a good hatch again this year.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mallard ducklings out

We should see some very soon as our property backs onto a lake ( Abbotsford ) and we also see lots of Wood Ducks.
    Cute little critters..
    Lord, Please help me to become half the man my Dog thinks I am..

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn-Redneck View Post
    I seen a group of mallard ducklings out with mom today, they were swimming in a ditch out near chilliwack. Noticed lately mostly only seeing drakes so the hens must be sitting on eggs. Dry spring should be a good hatch again this year.
    Saw a mallard hen with about 6-7 ducklings yesterday heading for the bay in Gibsons, there's a few ponds at the park by the marina. there should be lots of bugs for them now.

I've seen them around my place as well. Nice to see!

Need to kill off more of those invasive American Bullfrogs though.... Nasty *******s that eat ducklings!

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    I've seen them around my place as well. Nice to see!

Need to kill off more of those invasive American Bullfrogs though.... Nasty *******s that eat ducklings!
    There's lot's of predators that feed on ducklings, thats just nature at work and why they have such big broods. I watched a pair of Bald eagles pick off a whole brood at the Langdale ferry terminal years a go while the ferry was loading. It was high tide and momma duck had her brood in the water and one eagle would swoop down on the ducklings and they would go under and when they surfaced the other one was on them, they never had a chance.

Seeing lots of geese out this way but few ducks ( not saying the ducks are`nt there). Still got ice on the water. Our hatching usually starts mid to end of May.

Ron
    Quail is the virgin
    Duck is the mature woman
    .....Iron Chef

There was a mallard with 7 babies on the patio on the building across the alley from my office window.

Mom took off for a bit and a seagull came in. It picked off the ducklings one by one. It would mess around with them a bit and swallow them whole.

Amazing how fast the little guys could run, but the seagull knew how to herd them into corners and pick them out of the shrubs they thought they concealed in.

The irony is that some crazy bird lover lady dumps a crap-ton of seed and bread by the burrard skytrain station every morning to feed all the pigeons and seagulls so there's always a bunch of seagulls hanging around. Should have taken a video of the duckling carnage to show her lol