Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Turkey

Opening Day Turkey

I am not sure if there is a season opener that is more anticipate in my household than turkey, could be the fact it comes after a long winter, or more likely the thrill of a gobbler answering a call. My number one turkey hunting buddy is my 8 year old daughter, this is her 4th season chasing these frustrating birds with me and I have enjoyed my best and most successful days with her at my side.

This year started the afternoon before opener when I picked my daughter up at her after school daycare to head off to turkey camp. I feel missing a day of school is easily justified by the experience gained. A short drive later we arrive to some much cooler and damper weather than we have been enjoying as of late. I was slightly concerned how this might affect the hunting since I had heard numerous report of gobblers going nuts with this early spring. Regardless we quickly set up camp and headed out for a drive to check out some spots. We saw tons of deer and elk, but were most excited about the tom we spotted sneaking into the trees in the exact spot I wanted to hunt in the morning.
    Up with the alarm at 530, a few coffees and hot chocolates later we were off, actually a little later than I hoped since the sky was starting to brighten up. We stopped at the spot the tom was the night before and were actually a little surprised that no one answered, we went for a bit of a walk and didn’t hear a peep. So we headed up the road and got out for another hike only to have our hen call answered immediately by another hen. The call was so loud and so close I told my daughter it was likely another hunter, only to have a hen pop out 50 yards away. She quickly spotted us and took off.

We went to a few other good spots but again and again, hike, call, but nothing. Well now I was a little surprised, its opening day and conditions were perfect but no one wanted to talk. We got our hopes up a bit at the sound of a distant gobble, couldn’t get a response. At this point we started running into other hunters everywhere. I decided to check one last spot and call it a morning.

Well we arrived at the final spot of the morning and weren’t 50 yard from the truck when Hailey said she was tired. She is a great hiker and such a trooper I knew she must be beat to say something so I said no problem lets go have breakfast.

Well we start heading back and got to the “no hunting zone” as we passed by some private property. Sure enough there are 3 tom’s in full display in the middle of a field showing off for some hens. I never hunt private property since we have so much crown land but thought what the heck and pulled into the next driveway. I met an wonderful older gentleman who said he, his family and friends hunt so they don’t grant permission. Fair enough I thought, well Hailey jumped out of the truck and asked if we get to hunt those turkeys, one look at the little girl in camo and pig tails had that old farmer wavering, a few bats of the eyelashes and we won the lottery. A onetime only, one day opportunity to hunt his and his neighbour’s property! I was shocked to get permission and very grateful indeed.
    We set up a ways back, decoy in place ready for all hell to break loose, I gave a little yelp, nothing. I called louder, nothing. I waited a bit and called again, nothing!

What is going on with these birds I know they can hear me. We heard a few hen clucks from the general direction we knew the birds were but that is it.

We repositioned about 100yards but just shy of our destination I caught a bit of movement and froze. A hen was slowly making her way through the brush clucking softly. Hailey and I crouched down and tried to stay a still a possible, all of a sudden a tom comes out 40 yards away is full strut. He started looking around wondering where this hen was but didn’t give him a chance to gets suspicious as my shot rang out. He still had a bit left in him and was making a slow get away, but a quick sprint and one more shot finished him for good.

Hailey and I picked him up admired him for a bit and took some pictures, for those who care his beard is 10 ¼” and his spurs are 1 ¼ and 1 1/8”.

We went to thank the farmer and went back to camp to clean the bird. Not the typical turkey hunt I am used to but very grateful for the opportunity and felt lucky to have shared it with my daughter. My wife and son arrived Saturday to camp for the rest of the weekend. We ended up seeing a few other birds including 2 more toms while adventuring around, but didn’t hear any gobbling. I guess it’s time to start waiting till next turkey season, good thing there are lots of other hunts to keep us busy between now and then.
    Last edited by Rhyno; 04-17-2016 at 07:37 PM.
    KCCO

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Opening Day Turkey

Congratulations on a great hunt. Love the picture with your daughter. Had my 12 year old daughter with me today and although we had a few answering gobbles from a distance none came in. I was the caller while she carried the .22 and I packed the .410 for her in case it was the better choice. Yesterday when I was on my own I had six different toms answer, one came into 4m but didn't come out from behind a downed fir tree except to fly away when I spooked him. The second came in from 3-400m away but was intercepted by a real hen and stopped at 60-70m(was really wishing I was carrying my 17HMR since he hung around for 1/2 hour or so). The third I talked to for over an hour, he'd get close then wander off then close in again then move away never did see him. The fourth and fifth answered back from a long ways away a few times but never showed. The sixth came in really close but wouldn't crest the ridge line and I was pinned down by his hens so I couldn't reposition. They moved off and disappeared. Probably the best day I've ever had turkey hunting even without filling my tag. Frustrating but incredibly fun especially with the perfect weather we had this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by jtred View Post
    Congratulations on a great hunt. Love the picture with your daughter. Had my 12 year old daughter with me today and although we had a few answering gobbles from a distance none came in. I was the caller while she carried the .22 and I packed the .410 for her in case it was the better choice. Yesterday when I was on my own I had six different toms answer, one came into 4m but didn't come out from behind a downed fir tree except to fly away when I spooked him. The second came in from 3-400m away but was intercepted by a real hen and stopped at 60-70m(was really wishing I was carrying my 17HMR since he hung around for 1/2 hour or so). The third I talked to for over an hour, he'd get close then wander off then close in again then move away never did see him. The fourth and fifth answered back from a long ways away a few times but never showed. The sixth came in really close but wouldn't crest the ridge line and I was pinned down by his hens so I couldn't reposition. They moved off and disappeared. Probably the best day I've ever had turkey hunting even without filling my tag. Frustrating but incredibly fun especially with the perfect weather we had this weekend.

Awesome, sounds like a ton of action! Turkeys can be so fickle, gobbling like crazy one spot and then not calling at all a little ways away. Turkey can definitely be frustrating. Sounds like you have a great spot, won't be long till you get your bird, hopefully your daughter to!
    KCCO

Going to have to borrow that young lady come Elk season she seems to bring major luck

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Awesome, sounds like a ton of action! Turkeys can be so fickle, gobbling like crazy one spot and then not calling at all a little ways away. Turkey can definitely be frustrating. Sounds like you have a great spot, won't be long till you get your bird, hopefully your daughter to!
    My girls still haven't taken their CORE so when they hunt it's as a junior hunter on my license and bag limit so it's unfortunately still just the one bird limit. I would like for them to take the course but they won't commit to the full weekend and I'm not going to force them so for now I spend one day on the weekend chasing toms on my own and one day with my youngest and she's the hunter. We've got a few spots like that but crown land mountain birds are spooky. There is no sure thing with turkey and even with a few years in a row of getting a tom I've been shut out the last couple of years. Just couldn't make it happen for one reason or another. Still a blast and very addictive, it's by far and away my favourite spring hunt.

Great story, even better photo. Thanks for posting.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Congrats again buddy!

Nice gobbler congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by jtred View Post
    My girls still haven't taken their CORE so when they hunt it's as a junior hunter on my license and bag limit so it's unfortunately still just the one bird limit. I would like for them to take the course but they won't commit to the full weekend and I'm not going to force them so for now I spend one day on the weekend chasing toms on my own and one day with my youngest and she's the hunter. We've got a few spots like that but crown land mountain birds are spooky. There is no sure thing with turkey and even with a few years in a row of getting a tom I've been shut out the last couple of years. Just couldn't make it happen for one reason or another. Still a blast and very addictive, it's by far and away my favourite spring hunt.
    Agree, no guarentees at all. I got my bird the first 2 years here but no matter how hard I hunted last year it didn't come together. That's when these birds will drive you crazy, but I keep coming back for more
    Last edited by Rhyno; 04-17-2016 at 08:51 PM.
    KCCO

Congrats on the gobbler! Not an easy hunt, especially factoring in young kids! Props to you for taking out the next generation and getting it done. Love the pic!
    Twist and pull.