Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What kind of trekking poles are you using?

Re: What kind of trekking poles are you using?

I'll second the above ^^^
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Got the Costco trekking poles last summer and used them a few times, goat hunt and elk hunt. For the price they are hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    I ended up going with black diamond trail pro, it was the only pole that I could find that really felt I could "trust" the locking mechanism. All the plastic flip locks on the poles I tried seemed to slip when I put any weight on the pole. They are foam gripped handles, I wished they were cork though.
    might as well give an update about the poles. They didnt last very long, one season actually. Snapped one in half while packing out my 2016 mule deer, it was a heavy load, I thought they would hold up better than they did, specially for the price.

might as well give an update about the poles. They didnt last very long, one season actually. Snapped one in half while packing out my 2016 mule deer, it was a heavy load, I thought they would hold up better than they did, specially for the price.
    Did they bend too far and then just "kink" like a cold garden hose? Or did they somehow actually "snap"?

I had mine bent pretty good a few times, but stayed intact so far.

I purchased Black Diamond Trail Pro poles for the locking mechanism and the shock absorbers. I have had them a year with no issues. I hike our local mountain 3-4 times a week with them and trained all summer for a back pack hunt. I used them on the hunt and carried a 60 pound pack in steep country and they were great. My wife has the one's from Costco and they work fine for hiking but they make a clicking noise which would not be good for hunting. I wonder if Black Diamond would replace them if you complained.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Did they bend too far and then just "kink" like a cold garden hose? Or did they somehow actually "snap"?

I had mine bent pretty good a few times, but stayed intact so far.
    I lost my footing ( ground was snow covered ) and put it out to save myself from falling over and it just snapped in half and was in two pieces underneath me once i was able to get my pack off and get to my feet. I was like a turtle on my back, I probably should of done two seperate loads that day

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    Black Diamond Carbon Corks....I love the BD's and their service has been amazing whenever I've dealt with them.
    I had bought a set of both the Aluminum and CF Black Diamond poles with cork handles and much preferred the CF set, so that is what I intended to take on my Sheep hunt last year........well in my own brilliance I forgot them at home so stopped at Canadian tire in PG and picked up a set of Woods CF poles and they worked awesome, I can't imagine not having poles while hiking.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 01-01-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I just got my fist pair of poles for Xmas. They are the Costco ones, they seem well made. Can't wait to try them out snowshoeing, then using them to pack out a monster black bear this spring.