Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of trekking poles are you using?

What kind of trekking poles are you using?

The twist lock on my leki pole let go on me the other weekend, leki won't get back to me ask their website states this should be covered by warranty, but whatever. What are you guys using for trekking poles?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What kind of trekking poles are you using?

My first sectional poles were Komperdell C3s, with the twist locks. I was/am meticulous about my gear, due to extensive experience alone living in BC's most remote regions.

I barely escaped death from falling into Lynn Creek at spring spate when one of them suddenly collapsed and I changed to Black Diamond cork whatevers, their top model. I have used these constantly for 4-5 years, never an issue and they are still in good shape, they have the locks that fold over the shafts.

Komperdell also now has these locks and I intend to exchange mine when I next get into town in Vancity.

Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z's. They're about $150 from MEC and super light. No complaints after two seasons, their locking system seems to be fairly simple and rugged. However, while these are collapsible, they're not adjustable in height so they aren't the best for using with tarps.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5042-701/b...-poles-unisex/
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Ive been using the same black diamond trail ergo's for 6 years without failure. Aluminum pole with the flicklock system is solid and only a handful of grams heavier than the carbons.

Quote Originally Posted by 604ksmith View Post
    Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z's. They're about $150 from MEC and super light. No complaints after two seasons, their locking system seems to be fairly simple and rugged. However, while these are collapsible, they're not adjustable in height so they aren't the best for using with tarps.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5042-701/b...-poles-unisex/
    This^^^^

you can save $30 if you buy them on eBay...

I've been using the same set of Komperdell Carbon/Titanium Trail Runner poles for 10+ years. They are a two section twist lock with the top being titanium and the bottom, carbon.
    Hunter | Hunting/Wildlife Photographer
    www.nicktrehearne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Ive been using the same black diamond trail ergo's for 6 years without failure. Aluminum pole with the flicklock system is solid and only a handful of grams heavier than the carbons.
    x2 not sure what model mine are anymore, but they have the flick lock clamps on them, aluminum, not the lightest but still a reasonable weight and quite sturdy

I have the Black Diamond aluminium flip lock / clamp locking system poles that are oval shaped . Bought them 3years ago, they work great and the oval design I think gives better strength.
    Arctic Lake

I've got the Leki Micro Vario. It's been a good pole for me but considering that it was given to me because its' twin was snapped in half, I don't think I'd buy it new..

Picked up a pair of BD distance FLZ's last year, they fold up nice and short. I sure like the folding pole vs the telescoping ones.