Thread: backpacks...

backpacks...

Hi all,

Right now I have a maxpedition backpack I've used for years to go camping that I am using for hunting.

It's big, black, noisy and indestructible.

Should I continue using it or are there any sub $200 backpacks I should look into for hunting?

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: backpacks...

Keep using it.to upgrade you need to spend much much more than that
    Sheep are not that tough. Grizzlies are. Grizzlies eat what sheep eat, plus they eat sheep

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm a newbie hunter too, but I am an outdoor gear junky. I'd have to agree with 71_camaro and say keep your current pack. The pack I picked up for hunting is a Badlands, but it was $200+. Most hunting specific gear I've looked has a premium price on it, kind of like sticking the label "tactical" on something jacks the price.

Maxpedition is awesome gear. I'd stick with it and not worry too much about it. Maybe simply take it off when you spot an animal and are starting to stalk?

I echo the above. Use what you have and tuck some cash aside for a while to get in to a slightly higher price point, you will have much better options.

The maxpedition is great. Bomb proof. Just noisy.

I hate how anything tacticool or "hunting camo" seems to suddenly be double the cost you'd think it should be...

Quote Originally Posted by lostmind View Post
    Hi all,

Right now I have a maxpedition backpack I've used for years to go camping that I am using for hunting.

It's big, black, noisy and indestructible.

Should I continue using it or are there any sub $200 backpacks I should look into for hunting?

Thanks!
    Back packs range in price and function wildly. Take some time to figure out what your needs are and what kind of hunting you are going to be doing. You can get some 1000$ bags that wont be practical at all for you, however you could get into some trips where having an expensive bag is a game changer. Sounds like your bag will do you just fine until you figure youre own hunting style out.

All the tough cordura type ones will be relatively noisy. Maybe not quite as noisy as the maxpedition though. What kind of hunting are you doin and what do you use the backpack for? Mountain/overnight trips will be different than day trips and bowhunting will be a different than sitting in the corner of a field and taking long shots, for example. I'm still looking for a deal on a good fleece/wool day pack for bowhunting, as I find everything else is too noisy.

It all depends on how you plan on using your backpack. If you never plan on being more than a KM or two from the road, I'd keep that money for something else., say a rifle scope upgrade.
    But if you think you'll be further back, possibly solo hunting, packing out meat in it, I'd consider investing in a more hunting specific pack. But anything worth having will set you back a lot more than $200.
    Used is a good option for hunting packs. Don't be too concerned about purchasing a used pack, they don't wear out too fast, even with hard use.

Cheers
    John
    Highlander Hunting Podcast

really depends on the type of hunting you are doing. Are you just packing gear or will you be packing meat in it as well? If you are concerned about stalking into bow range, then a quiet pack is really important. I don't think colour makes a bit of difference, just don't skyline yourself. And I find a bigger pack with the ability to compress when lightly loaded is far more useful then one that has a smaller capacity and always seems to be filled to capacity. I have used a Cabelas Alaskan external frame with a Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag for three years. Used the same frame with the cabelas bag for 5 years before that. Used it on 7 backpack hunts and a more day hunts then I can count. I hunt goats, elk, deer and bear. There are allot better packs out there but this one is a workhorse and get the job done.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 12-05-2017 at 07:50 PM.