Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willow takes off like space shuttle.

Willow takes off like space shuttle.

Happened upon a willow on an old unused road so I pulled out the BPS 20ga and unloaded a round at about 25 yds. For some reason, the pattern didn't do it's job and off the grouse went...

Straight up 200'! You could have hung a plumb bob off it's rear end and not got an inch off center. After which, it glided off out of sight. I'm sure someone could argue that it's impossible for an upland bird to pull that off but it did.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Willow takes off like space shuttle.

I didn't know it was grouse season

I am sure he is referring to a hunt from last season?

Dad shot a grouse with his deer rifle while under some transmission lines. He told me the grouse took off like a rocket, straight up, as high as the lines then dropped to the ground dead. When he plucked it there was a small slit on the "popes nose" (so much for head shots). I assume there must be a pile of nerve endings there that caused the reaction.

Unless it hit one of the lines and got electracooted.

Quote Originally Posted by campking View Post
    I am sure he is referring to a hunt from last season?

Yeeaahhh ... Last season lol
    Last edited by Chopper; 04-14-2016 at 08:59 AM.
    JOIN US AT CRSPORTFISHING.CA

That's happened to me a couple of times(while shooting a 22) and I've managed to keep an eye on the birds until they dropped from the sky both times. Both times I'd been off a bit and had clipped the side of the neck. They flew straight up for a long ways then flew straight away until they ran out of blood and dropped. I managed to find them both, one dropped further down the road and the other lost some feathers while plummeting though the willows so it kind of left a trail.

I hope you bought a tag!
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

never seen a grouse do that but I did hit a wood duck once that was kind a up higher and it spun with its wing out like a helicopter as it came down...I was shooting from a bank of a river but was up higher (30 feet off the water) it prolly only did 3 or 4 spins as it fell but it looked pretty bizarre as it turned in almost slow motion

I've hit grouse and ducks with a stray pellet to the head and they've gone straight up a long ways, then died and came almost straight back down. One grouse I flushed did go straight up, but it made for an easy shot and I crumpled him about 15 yards high.