Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a GWP Stud

Re: Looking for a GWP Stud

Quote Originally Posted by thehammer View Post
    "Got any pictures of her hunting? Why do you want to breed her?"

This is a good question, you have not shot over her yet and in another thread you say she is not steady, and on the other hand you want to breed her to a solid hunter.
    Not having shot over this dog, and not having her steady, and not having any obedience or field work would not paint the picture that this dog doesn't or couldn't have all the inbred qualities needed to be a good hunter or produce offspring of the same with a good sire.........................
    Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing

Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Group Canada

(Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend)

Quote Originally Posted by hotload View Post
    Not having shot over this dog, and not having her steady, and not having any obedience or field work would not paint the picture that this dog doesn't or couldn't have all the inbred qualities needed to be a good hunter or produce offspring of the same with a good sire.........................

^^^^

What he said.

"Not having shot over this dog, and not having her steady, and not having any obedience or field work would not paint the picture that this dog doesn't or couldn't have all the inbred qualities needed to be a good hunter or produce offspring of the same with a good sire........................."

No one said it did or did I miss something, in the OP post he was looking for a good solid hunter which his dog has yet to prove and that's not saying it won't. Breeding because the kids want puppies, float your boat.

Seems' there are a lot of people who want their so clever.so great,so wonderful bitch have offsprings,which especially for hunting dogs should be caracter and performance tested to figure out if the dam and sire are suitable for breeding.To just breed because somebody in the vicinity has a "suitable"dog doesn't guarantee you get what you're looking for in your litter.
    Because your kids want to have pups should not be a good enough reason to bring more hunting dogs in to the world.....check out how many versatile hunting dogs are in rescue paces in canada and the U.S..
    Seems like in North America we haven't figured it out yet.
    Sure somebody with aspiring dreams of owning a HPR breed might buy one of your pups,just to realize how much work it takes to make a good hunting dog and the dog is going to fall by the wayside and end up in one of them shelters or rescue places.
    Breed right or don't breed at all.
    Akc and ckc qualification doesn't mean shit.

Why do all the dog threads get bitchy?

I think of 'Best in Class' every time I read one of these threads.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Why do all the dog threads get bitchy?

I think of 'Best in Class' every time I read one of these threads.
    I think the problem here is with the dogs not the people, the people are innocent and underserving, until these dogs, any dogs have crawled up into your heart and and showed us the way the world really should be. They come to us with love and loyalty and the greatest friendship one will every find. In the short order that it takes them to put us under their spell, we are brainwashed into thinking we have a best in show, best in class, best in the field, best in water, best retriever. So people, it's not our fault, let's put the true blame where it belongs, on them.............................................
    Last edited by hotload; 11-17-2016 at 10:28 PM.
    Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing

Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Group Canada

(Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend)

Thanks for (some of) the comments. The post was looking for a stud - not looking for a bunch of whiny ass opinions. But, lucky for me - I got both. From the post I have gotten some great contacts and had some super conversations with a couple of like minded guys. No egos - just solid discussions about our dogs, how we're training them, and our (and the dogs') shortcomings.

I understand that some of the guys here think they're god's gift to hunting and training dogs. Good for you. I don't have that problem. I've shot over a shitload of dogs - some had fancy ribbons and titles. Some I liked and some I didn't. Truth be told - I generally liked most of the dogs - it was some of the owners I didn't care to hunt with again.

Part of this is of course my preference in what I want in a bird dog - but this GWP is one of the best dogs I've ever worked with. That's partially because she's our pet - and very good at being a pet - and that makes me biased. But, I've seen her at field tests and watched her run with some exceptional dogs run by pro's - she has the ability to keep up with all of them - but, she's not polished. I'm fine with that at this point.

Ok. Enough of the BS. Thanks for the great input and conversations (you guys know who you are).

In another 6 months or so, I may be advertising pups.

PS: I had her checked out by a reputable vet. Everything looks good. It's not required, but I'm going to schedule a hip x-ray to confirm the Docs opinion that she's got zero problems.

back yard breeder.

"What test did she run and where was it? don't see a lot of pointers running tests. "

The Vancouver Island and Mainland pointing dog clubs do run hunt tests every year. The OP said his dog had run as FDJ (Field Dog Junior). In that test a dog has to at least look like it is hunting and attempt to at least do a flash point on a bird. You get 75% or better on a list of criteria you get a ribbon. I am sure there must me a equivalent for the retriever breeds. Dose not take much to get an FDJ.