Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: BCWF Promoting a Steelhead Hatchery for Bulkley & Retention On Haida Gwaii River

Re: BCWF Promoting a Steelhead Hatchery for Bulkley & Retention On Haida Gwaii River

The last time this discussion came up everyone ignored all the data and came to their own conclusions based on rhetoric and biased self observation. This is the policy:
    http://www.frafs.ca/sites/default/fi...ary%202015.pdf

Need a refresher course?
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...38#post1587938
    Does this look like a catch trend that indicates the remote possibility of opening a harvest fishery?

3. Manage wild steelhead as catch-and-release fisheries

Societal and economic benefits generally increase with the abundance of adult steelhead returns, which anglers detect through changes in personal catch success or by learning of the success of others. In theory, abundance should be near maximum levels in unfished populations which are close to what would be achieved in a catch-and-release fishery (assuming post-release mortality rates remain low). The demand response to a real or apparent increase in abundance is to attract lapsed and new anglers into the fishery. For existing anglers, the response to increased abundance should take the form of improved catch success, which may also result in an increase in total hours fished per day or more days fished per season and a general increase in the overall level of angler satisfaction. Catch and release improves the likelihood of encountering fish, and therefore increases the socio-economic benefits both in the current season and the season when the offspring of spawners return. As many returning adults pass through more than one sport fishery, they become proportionally more valuable when they are able to complete their life cycle. Catch and release can provide a low-risk alternative to closures where abundance levels are low.

In contrast to catch-and-release fisheries, harvest fisheries result in abundance decreasing to levels below the unfished equilibrium, roughly in proportion to the severity of the harvest. Consequently, not only do harvest fisheries reduce the number of fish available for the angler in any given return year but harvesting also reduces returns for subsequent years as well. Furthermore, if stocks are recovering after periods of low returns, the harvesting of spawners can delay the return of the population to acceptable levels by several years (sometimes decades). These pressures are particularly apparent where interception fisheries already create a significant harvest that managers must address. The fact that many winter-run stocks have not increased in number after more than two decades of ‘no harvest’ in some cases clearly indicates that ocean and stock productivity is very low and in some cases below replacement. Northern summer stocks may not be subject to the same survival factors and winter runs, but persistent by-catch pressure undoubtedly absorbs some of the ‘surplus’ that might or might not exist prior to marine fisheries.

Under conditions where steelhead are highly vulnerable to capture (i.e. the majority of the stock is accessible to anglers) the reported catch can even exceed estimated returns. This observation underscores the ongoing intensity of data collection and enforcement required to sustain an annual harvest in an open access fishery for wild fish. The potential for excessive harvest and possible extirpation is elevated where stock assessment estimates are imprecise, stocks are unproductive (or only moderately so) or environmental conditions are uncertain. Many of the stocks currently considered relatively ‘healthy’ based on catch success and other indices are unproductive northern stocks (i.e. those where ‘surplus’ might be identified would be limited at best). The abrupt, large and persistent shifts we have seen in steelhead productivity in some populations recently only re-enforce the need for a precautionary approach in management policies to ensure we are not placing populations at higher levels of risk, or impacting their ability to provide societal benefits in the future.

Widespread freshwater harvesting opportunities for other species exist throughout the province and include wild and hatchery trout species (including those stocked in >1000 lakes) and several species of salmon and stocked steelhead in a number of rivers that are available to anglers at the same time as wild steelhead. Since wild steelhead provide exceptional quality of angling experience, they are managed with the intention of maximizing the number of such freshwater opportunities. Having said this, hatchery programs for steelhead have been maintained for a limited number of water bodies to provide the opportunity to harvest a steelhead from a relatively abundant, hatchery-augmented population. These programs generally provide experiences that are different from those associated with wild populations and purposefully target a different demographic.

For all the reasons above, the Province will continue to administer catch-and-release fisheries for wild steelhead as described in the Steelhead Stream Classification Policy (Appendix V). Wild stocks considered to be in ‘routine management’ have been managed as catch and release for over a decade and will continued to be administered as such unless new information is available to support a change. Diversity of opportunity is considered within the broader context of all freshwater fishing opportunities in the province. This may preclude harvest opportunities for certain species and/or in certain geographic regions to ensure the long-term maintenance of the wild fish resource take precedence over the provision of other socio-economic benefits.
    Research in BC and elsewhere has shown that hatchery supplementation does not rebuild wild stocks, but it can be used to support a fishery at considerable financial cost. Research has also shown that hatchery stocking can reduce the productivity of wild steelhead populations, with the negative impacts increasing with the proportion of the total population that is of hatchery origin. Thus, hatchery augmentation should only be used in special circumstances where impacts on wild populations can be avoided and the expected societal benefits exceed the costs of the program.
    As a direct reply to the OP, I would also like to hear the thoughts of the actual BCWF board or president, and whether or not they are interested in controlling the motions that their regional members make at SFAB meetings when it directly contradicts all the sound management information available for the species. I equate this madness with a BCWF member in 7B making a recommendation to open a harvest on stone's sheep ewes. Spectacularly ignorant.

Re: BCWF Promoting a Steelhead Hatchery for Bulkley & Retention On Haida Gwaii River

Does the ministry of fisheries have any idea how many salmon and steelhead the the natives take. It would be hard to regulate a fishery with out all the numbers.

Eastbranch,

You've posted parts of the Provincial Steelhead Policy. When I read between the lines this mirrors the intent of the Wildlife Allocation Policy. That intent being prioritizing economics over everything else and providing commercial interest greater exclusivity. In light of the many placebos this policy outlines such as bait bans, non retention...hidden under lessening the impact on steelhead. Did you know that the Province handed out hundreds of steelhead rod days to angling guides in the Skeena?

So it would appear that the many sustainable steelhead angling values and opportunities that generation of residents have enjoyed are axed under the guise of conservation. However no limits are place on non-resident steelhead anglers, in fact the province promotes and increase their access, opportunity, and associated impact. Not under the label of conservation but under economics and catering to angling guide businesses trumping it.

I often hear the excuse (non-defensible in many cases) that the wild steelhead populations can't sustain a regulated and limited harvest, and that the science does not exist to support it (I disagree believing the science does exist). That said, those opposing any harvest opportunity on steelhead how do they justify the kill directly associated with catch and release fisheries (regardless of method) likely in the hundreds annually. Seems very bias and hypocritical to me, a resident can't harvest a steelhead for the frying pan, but anglers from all over the world can come and release them belly up in C&R fishery. A dead fish is a dead fish! If a fishery can't sustain mortality then whether released belly up or released in ones frying pan should not matter. I think everyone can see the bias and hypocrisy of the current Provincial Management regime.

There is a massive difference between a management plan and an allocation policy. It's clear you have no ability to grasp the concept of sustainability.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastbranch View Post
    There is a massive difference between a management plan and an allocation policy. It's clear you have no ability to grasp the concept of sustainability.
    Management plans and allocation policies are often linked. I've worked on numerous management and use plans where harvest and the allocation thereof is a function and or reference directly to it. Do some aspects of the two differ, yes. But they go hand in hand.

Your attempt to insult me and question my ability to grasp a concept, rather than engage in a thought out and educated debate of differing positions and views shouts of your intellectual standing or lack thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEYMAN View Post
    The problem is that the old time, antiquated thinking of the BCWF is what stops many from joining. We must all be conservationists, environmentalists, protectors of our natural resources as well as being responsible hunters and fishers.
    I am young but I guess I still fall into the antiquated thinking portion you speak of. What's wrong with killing a Steelhead again? Absolutely nothing. Just a fish. I may actually get to use that steelhead tag I'm forced to buy if they raise Bulkley hatchery fish.

Didn't the Bulkley river have a hatchery that released steelhead? Many years ago? So you might want to applaud the hatchery for the steelhead that are there today. Don't ya think?!

The question I've always had about steelhead is the pincushion effect on fitness.

Anyone?
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    The question I've always had about steelhead is the pincushion effect on fitness.

Anyone?
    Sorry GoatGuy, you have to elaborate and dumb it down for me.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Sorry GoatGuy, you have to elaborate and dumb it down for me.
    What are the effects on which are being caught sometimes multiple times.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Ah, never heard that one before. I would say the playing of the fish and handling on release is the critical part of it all but how do you control that.