Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: BCWF Promoting a Steelhead Hatchery for Bulkley & Retention On Haida Gwaii River

Re: BCWF Promoting a Steelhead Hatchery for Bulkley & Retention On Haida Gwaii River

Speyman,

How many members does the SSOBC have Province wide?

Re: BCWF Promoting a Steelhead Hatchery for Bulkley & Retention On Haida Gwaii River

Quote Originally Posted by SPEYMAN View Post
    What is the Steelhead Society?

Formed in 1970 by a group of dedicated Steelhead anglers concerned about the state of wild steelhead stocks and the wild rivers of British Columbia, the Steelhead Society is a charitable non-profit river conservation organization. The Society has evolved to advocate for the health of all wild salmonids and wild rivers in British Columbia.

Considered to be "one of the most important conservation organizations in North America", the Steelhead Society primarily consists of members from across North America, but has members from around the world. Our members' support, as well as private donations and monies raised through fundraising campaigns, funds advocacy actions and awareness in the public spectrum, and acts to encourage positive change in government and private enterprise.

What is the aim of the Steelhead Society?

The Steelhead Society's mandate is to encourage the conservation and restoration of wild fish and the wild rivers they inhabit. To this end, the Steelhead Society has been able to form alliances and partnerships with First Nations; Federal and Provincial government agencies, politicians, forestry companies, grass roots organizations, media, and outdoor equipment manufacturers.

These alliances encourage awareness of the sensitivity of watersheds and their inhabitants, with a unified goal of improving damaged habitats for the greater good of all involved parties.

The Steelhead Society is dedicated to the ongoing advocacy of environmental education, stream restoration, dam decommissioning options, maintaining flow rates, mitigating the effects of hatchery programs, effective control of the Aquaculture Industry, as well as holding government and public agencies responsible for the natural heritage rivers provide.

Society members have in common a dedication to protecting, enhancing and restoring BC's wild salmon and steelhead habitat.
    Just took a look at there website. That was good for a laugh. I recommend everyone else to do the same. Almost all the pictures on their website are shown holding the fish out of the water for a picture after completely exhausting them. I'm sure that's great for recovery. A few pictures of fish laying in inches of water. What many C&R advocates suggest you do NOT do! And I highly recommend you click on the Donate link. Not to donate money but take a close look at that steelheads eye. I've seen a few fish with eyes going forward like that. And that only means one thing. There is a hook in that eye. No joke. Please check it out.

Please do, check out the site and see how twisted some can interpret the actual presentation. I can assure you of one thing, killing a steelhead is final. Some profess to have expertise but reject scientific fact. Reminds me of the saying,"don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up". Different strokes for different folks, opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. Hatcheries are not the answer.

A Steelhead released with one eye is also final. Better off on my table than at the bottom of a River.