Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Chainsaw Mills

Re: Chainsaw Mills

Quote Originally Posted by hardnocks View Post
    i have done a lot of milling with an 090 stihl....but we found that round chipper chain best for ripping . i had found some new old canon roller nose bars. we had torn down the old CPR round house in revelstoke some of the timbers were 50 ft long. we cut planks from them for years . my BIL sold lots of planks
    Trying to get my hands on an 090 or 3120. Priced out a new Stihl 880, $1800 before tax. No thanks, buy a band mill before I fork out that much for a powersaw lol.
    Where does a guy get that round chipper chain?
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Chain filing update: took the angle grinder to my milling chain, from the inside of the tooth grind the width in half and leave every third tooth stock. This will leave an alternating left/right full width tooth every three to help clean the cut. It cuts smoother, faster, doesn't boy the powerhead nearly as much and is twice as fast to sharpen.

3/8 chain, 8 tooth driver, file no more than 5deg across and 10 deg down towards the ground. With this set up on a head designed chainsaw mill I bet would cut almost as fast as a band mill. Problem still lies with keeping sharp, a good pressure washer will be a wise investment soon. Clean logs are key...
    Last edited by .264winmag; 06-13-2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: stupid autocorrect
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

You need to rig up a cutting fluid system now and you will be really uptown.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    You need to rig up a cutting fluid system now and you will be really uptown.
    Last time I was milling some 2ft dry fir I was burning the bar. Hung a windshield washer bottle off the end dripping water in tip and it helped cool things down.
    I'm looking at band mills as we speak, easier on the back