Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw Mills

Re: Chainsaw Mills

Any of you guys know or own one like this, made by PG Saw & Fabricating?
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/pr...ationFlag=true
    Brand new with a 14 HP engine.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Any of you guys know or own one like this, made by PG Saw & Fabricating?
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/pr...ationFlag=true
    Brand new with a 14 HP engine.
    No but you have my attention!
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I swear I have seen it posted at $2,999 before, but now $3,999.
    Do you think it's still a deal?
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I've got one of these http://woodlandmills.ca/product/hm126-portable-sawmill/ and love it. I looked at lots of different brands including the PG Saw one and went with the Woodland.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemaebe View Post
    I've got one of these http://woodlandmills.ca/product/hm126-portable-sawmill/ and love it. I looked at lots of different brands including the PG Saw one and went with the Woodland.
    Do you have any issues with the drive belt being inside the bandsaw housing or the band wheel belt and the drive belt being one in the same?

I love those bandsaw mills. Had always been thinking of a chainsaw mill, but those bandsaw mills are slick.

In either case, how do you keep the planks from twisting when they dry? Is that what painting the ends is for?

Can you cut down a tree and make lumber or do you have to let it dry a while?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I love those bandsaw mills. Had always been thinking of a chainsaw mill, but those bandsaw mills are slick.

In either case, how do you keep the planks from twisting when they dry? Is that what painting the ends is for?

Can you cut down a tree and make lumber or do you have to let it dry a while?
    Most wood if it is in a dry place and out of the sun won't twist but if you are worried then dry it in as big as a stack as you can and the weight of the pile will help keep it straight. Some species are definitely more prone to twisting so more precaution should be taken with those. Painting the ends helps keep the ends from cracking because that is how lumber bleeds the moisture out is also through the ends. Cutting a log when it is greener is way easier but it has more tension and cutting when a log is seasoned is way harder but is more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    I swear I have seen it posted at $2,999 before, but now $3,999.
    Do you think it's still a deal?
    One would have to look at it closely to know. If there's any rivets used during assembly I'd shy away. The cribbing has to be sturdy enough to handle some abuse etc. But when you look at the price of a new 880 Stihl for a chainsaw mill, $1800 before tax kind of puts things in perspective at $4k. PG Saw looks to make a couple other models with a giant price tag, don't think they could charge that much for junk. I do like Can made stuff...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Cedar fencing all milled up, 2-6"x6"x12', 55-4"x4"x9', 110-2"x4"x8' and a truckload of 1"x?"x6'. All full dimension. Will post pics when buddy gets it up!

[URL=http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/Doubleheader2/media/Chainsaw%20Milling/4F548D52-3B6E-44F4-A57D-CEE7DA87E7E9.jpg.html][/URL]

Good job Winmag