Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw Mills

Re: Chainsaw Mills

Very cool!
    Been watching some guys down the street run a $30k portable mill. Theyve made some nice stuff.

My dad bulit his own unit and it worked pretty damn good for a homade unit. He build a few cedar fences.
    I now have it but have yet to use it. Hoping I keep all my needed body parts.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

HIRED....... LOL

Got a pile a cleared for our new house, may just need to pick your brain and get busy in my "spare" time.....

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    HIRED....... LOL

Got a pile a cleared for our new house, may just need to pick your brain and get busy in my "spare" time.....
    Will work for beer
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I have ripped lots of wood and have sharpened lots of chain but have not perfected my chain sharpening skills yet and that is a big deal having a good sharp chain. It is a ton of work ripping wood in a chain saw mill. Have you ever looked at woodmizer and the little 10 horse band mill they have?

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I have ripped lots of wood and have sharpened lots of chain but have not perfected my chain sharpening skills yet and that is a big deal having a good sharp chain. It is a ton of work ripping wood in a chain saw mill. Have you ever looked at woodmizer and the little 10 horse band mill they have?
    Chainsaw milling is definitely not for wussies', nor production of boards. It's better for timbers etc. On the Alaskan I'm just using regular old 3/8'' skip tooth chain filed at a fairly mellow angle, works fine just needs a stroke every couple cuts to bring to life. On the mini mill is 404'' and its quite a bit slower than 3/8''! For a few trees here n there around the ranch its perfect. Or for dismantling and salvaging good size trees in tough to reach locations it's awesome. Definitely have our eye on a 15hp woodmizer, need to sell a plane first lol.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

You won't regret grabbing a woodmizer 15, very productive mill and fairly low cost. I had one and upgraded but I am thinking going back to another one and selling the one I have. I was told they don't make ripping chains anymore and a skip tooth is all they use with a flatter pitch. They are close but was told the older ripping chains were a little better.

would the ripping chains tend to leave a rougher cut surface and be harder to get a perfectly straight cut?

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    would the ripping chains tend to leave a rougher cut surface and be harder to get a perfectly straight cut?
    I haven't used a full house enough for ripping to compare it to a skip tooth but in theory it should be rougher. For a barbaric tool like a chainsaw, it does a decent job for accuracy and finish.

it is fun doing that stuff i rip em then i have a old 24 inch band saw nice roller feed and away you go . easy just dug a hole in the ground to get that band saw down the brain is a wonderful thing until i lost 40% i did not realize stupid is stupid and you can not fix stupid ha ha mine was lack of oxy. so it fixes itself .

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I'm finding smoother cuts with chain filed in the ripping style. A 45degree skip tooth with rakers taken down was rough and downright barbaric!