Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern half of 7-25

Northern half of 7-25

Hi Fellas

Not looking for any ones secret honey hole ! Willing to work get off the beaten path .Just wanting to know what the area is like in the Northern half of 7-25 for moose. Was thinking about the area around Salmon Lake ,maybe the Salmon River
    Thanks !
    Arctic Lake

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Northern half of 7-25

I've been in that area a few times and I think I've seen a Moose each time. Stay away from McLeod FSR, sometimes it seems like a highway.

If you can, also try and drive a bit farther north on the Germansen FSR and get into 7-28.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Thanks 604ksmith !

Were you thinking of the area around Philip Lakes Northwest of Rainbow in 7-28 ? Looking at the B.C. Backroads mapbook trying to get a handle on the area .Never been up that way before .
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

I was thinking more NW of Philip. Philip is likely a decent area (never been there personally) but it's still fairly close to MacKenzie and the highway.

I would say try to get as farther NW of Philip. Chuchi is busy with weekend warriors and cabins, but anything North of that is pretty good hunting. Although, it does become quite the drive up that way.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Hmmmm.... Well I would think I would need to be North of Mt.Milligan as that is where the mine is .If I go farther than that I hit the Nation River. Hmmm might be quite a long haul for a week when your coming from the Lower Mainland. Was thinking maybe somewhere within one or two hours of Vanderhoof. Maybe I need to start another thread on best area near Vanderhoof , LOL!

Thanks
    Arctic Lake

If you have driven from the LM, what is another couple hours??

The top end of 7-25 can be good if you are willing to work and get off the roads and into the bush. Lots of spots to check out off the North Rd., up past Carrier Lk and around Salmon Lk. Some older burns (2005-7) has some good habitat. Biggest thing is getting away from the crowds, so if you are willing to use a boat or paddle a canoe, hike into old cuts and pack a moose out, you will have some luck.

7-28 can get busy as lost of people hunt that area. Far enough away from The Fort to keep most weekends away, has easy access and the big lakes can provide some great hunting. Chuchi can be good if you boat the west end and hunt the lake shore, The area south of Witch is cold, north facing hills that hold some moose along with some nice bears.

Drive the extra 2 hours and have a good hunt!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Thanks Sitkaspruce !

I plan on bringing a canoe up there and we are up to hunting old cutblocks .How many hours would you say it is into those areas from Vanderhoof ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake !

Thanks Sitkaspruce !
    I plan on bringing a canoe and we are up to hiking into old cutblocks . How long would it take to get into the areas you described from Vanderhoof ?
    Thanks !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Thanks Sitkaspruce !
    I plan on bringing a canoe and we are up to hiking into old cutblocks . How long would it take to get into the areas you described from Vanderhoof ?
    Thanks !
    Arctic Lake
    Anywhere from 1.5-3 hours depending on the locations, road conditions and weather.

Canoe will be good as long a you have the experience of paddling with 3-400lbs. of meat in the canoe. Learn to call during the rut and that will help even more.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

There's an old burn on the Driftwood river just south of Kaza lake. Drive in, hike around from there. Good spot away from the crowds.

You can find it on google earth
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela