Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seek outside tipi tents

Re: Seek outside tipi tents

Quote Originally Posted by kebes View Post
    Too much lol. If I remember correctly with the exchange it was a little under a grand for the tent and 250 or somewhere there abouts for the stove.

Ill let you know if it was worth it later this fall
    Ya good stuff cost lots of money . Hope you get good use out of it and all reviews are much appreciated
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN TOP SNIPER View Post
    Ya good stuff cost lots of money . Hope you get good use out of it and all reviews are much appreciated
    As much as Dewey and I have butted heads in the past, I will say he has steered many of my opinions about gear. Not always to use what he uses. But the principals he applies to the decisions he makes about gear. It is not a make or break thing, but it is part of it.

When I look at a new piece of gear now, I always say to myself would what Dewey say?

Ok, second thing, cause the first thing would be is this made overseas garbage that can't be trusted?

Although I do find myself more and more, buying from "mom and pop" companies out of the states for bigger ticket items when possible. Or my Hilleberg. Or shit that get me through a night, seven nights of less than ideal conditions in the backcountry or a terrible bout of weather.

Point being, I am glad I am of some help. I don't get nearly the time I would like using my gear but I figure my limited exposure to it is worth sharing. For what it is worth.

Like I do, sift through the crankiness of the old man and apply it to your purchases. I think you'll come out better for it.

Keep in mind, he doesn't like young know it alls. Even when they are 42. Somehow, I seemed to have redeemed myself.

So some companies are in the bad books for that. Doesn't mean they don't make good stuff and he'll even say so. Other times they are on the no Christmas card from Dewey list for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcar View Post
    As with most of my posts....sorry for the length.

My goal this year is to spend at least 25-30 nights in my various shelters. May mean camping in Stanley Park, but damn it I didn't buy all these cool shelters to not sleep in them!
    That moment you realize you can't go hunting because you spent all your money on gear....

Quote Originally Posted by kebes View Post
    That moment you realize you can't go hunting because you spent all your money on gear....

That simple fact seems to be ignored by some here who cycle gear and very costly clothing through their ownership constantly and yet appear to be constantly seeking the "ultimate" pack, shelter or latest in approved camo jockstrap.

Buying the best, learning from usually older and far more experienced persons and then looking after the gear and getting out there seems the most practical means of hunting, hiking, whatever, but, the "con job" by certain "egspurts" on certain forums seems to cause a lot of people to buy, buy, buy, which is, of course, exactly what these characters are paid for.

Some years ago, I disagreed with one of the major "gurus" and gear makers on his forum as to the practical reality of using one of his shelters and light wood stoves in late season trips in northern BC. I stated that I have, do and always would use a propane stove and he went ballistic telling me that he has been there and gathered light willows for fuel......

Well, I did not bother to continue the discussion as I lived alone in the mountains there for months and know how willow bushes work as fuel when you experience 2-3 solid weeks of driving rain and must go out in this to gather sopping wet brush......

So, there is a LOT of chest pounding rhetoric about gear from those who have very little actual field experience with the conditions and areas they comment on..........

SO people do NOT do this and actually come to BC frequently which is one reason I am so impressed by them and their gear.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    T or latest in approved camo jockstrap.
    Wait, I am supposed to be wearing a jockstrap when I hunt. No wonder I've not tagged out in a season yet!

Kai-let's NOT go there!!!!

I am wanting a Saitaris, BADLY, as the size is right for ONE guy on extended trips and I have a Hille XP20 tarp as well as my Saivo.

You need room to live when it is pouring rain for 3 days, fog so thick that you cannot see 20 feet and this can be VERY depressing. I like candle lanterns, beeswax plumber's style candles and these seem to warm my tent a bit.

If, I can sell a rifle or ten, I will buy the Saitaris and bugger the cost!

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    Kai-let's NOT go there!!!!

I am wanting a Saitaris, BADLY, as the size is right for ONE guy on extended trips and I have a Hille XP20 tarp as well as my Saivo.

You need room to live when it is pouring rain for 3 days, fog so thick that you cannot see 20 feet and this can be VERY depressing. I like candle lanterns, beeswax plumber's style candles and these seem to warm my tent a bit.

If, I can sell a rifle or ten, I will buy the Saitaris and bugger the cost!

yes that looks like quite a tent, but the original question is if you had any experience with seek outside tents, specifically the cimeron, I want a backpacking tent/shelter that I can pack on my own. Not a 12 lb 4 season tent...

Sorry, we sometimes "get carried away" here.......

I did reply earlier and have considerable experience with SO gear and other tipi shelters, including the Chouinard Pyramid, from 30 years ago....lots of backpack and spike camps with considerable satisfaction.

So, I WOULD buy a Cimarron, was one of the first to pester Angie and Kevin to add the bug screens and might still do it, but, am about done for purchases this year. I would buy a Hyperlite 4 person or a Cimarron B/4 any others I know of and the Cimarron is FAR cheaper than the HL.

HTH, sorry for straying.....

I currently have an 8 man tipi with a stove and have had a silvertip as well. I use the 8 man for family camping and base camp hunting trips (including fly ins) and it has been great. I've had it for 3 years now and haven't had any problems. Seam sealing the big guy takes awhile but that's ok. The silvertip was great too, I just traded it out for a slightly lighter mid but didn't have any complaints. They are expensive as is all good gear but each night you use it and it doesn't fail you that price looks better and better.

Anyone else have experience with the Seek Outside Cimarron? I am seriously considering one. Are they worth the $825USD price tag? Any complaints? Please post any good/bad experiences you've had, along with pics!

Thanks, Daniel