Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: lynx friend or foe.

Re: lynx friend or foe.

Are you guys serious? Have you seen what a house cat can do to a full grown person, let alone a child? I'm tired of animals being held in higher regard than humans. Yes chances may be slim, but that sob so much as looked at me or mine wrong, done...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

A number of years ago a friend of mine who lives at a lake above us told me they had the family up on the weekend, and as they were all sitting around the fire outside having dinner, someone yelled "There's a cat right there!" Sure as hell here comes a Lynx, all scruffie look'in and slowly walks past them all and only about 50 feet from the fire! No one had time to do much but watch as it went into the brush and was gone? So, long story short, a couple of weeks later I'm on the quad on a road that's well above that cabin and I'm glassing for animals when, guess who comes around the corner about 30 yards in front of me, a bloody Lynx! A real scruffie look'in Lynx at that! Looked like it was rabid, first think I do is load my 300 Mag and then grabbed my camera for proof if I do shoot the cat. Now somewhere on this P/C I've got the pic's and a video of what happened next, this bloody cat kept walking towards me as I sat with the muzzle of my rifle aimed at it in one hand and my camera in the other hand! Was some creepie shit for a few seconds as it walked not 3 bloody feet from me and just kept walking! Really! It slowly made it ways into the brush, so I fired up the quad, hit reverse, with the camera still going and drove back to where I last seen it. Nothing, so I keep going back and sure as hell it made one more appearance and then it was gone for good. I'll try to find the pictures and video on my external hard drive, I'll try to post them if possible. At the time it didn't seem like a threat so I fire, but in retrospect, maybe I should have???

Thanks M. Dean, would love to see that footage.

Cats, like bears are predominantly nocturnal, especially in human populated areas. When they are day time active, near people, especially small children, you're a fool to blow them off as "harmless". I'll reiterate what I said a year ago....If it's only my hide on the line I'll consider taking a risk, but no way am I going ignore a threat when my kids are involved. If that makes me a poacher or worthless human being, so be it. I'll greedily wear that badge, instead of rolling up to my house after work and having CO's, RCMP and paramedics in my yard because the predator that took up residence finally capitalized on an easy meal.

Surprised how many here fear Lynx

If you really see Lynx on your property an issue get a trapper or buy a tag. Hey they taste good, make cool mounts, and fur is worth a few $. Do it legal and make use of it at least

I can count on one hand how many wild cats I've seen in the daylight. Logged a few miles in the woods. Those that have seen them, and I'm not talking running em with dogs, have had do dispatch them as they were gonna get pounced on. Talking cougar mind you, but a sick cougar on VI isn't much heavier that a lynx/bobcat.
    We 'tried' to domesticate a feral house cat. Anyone wants to come by and try to get it in a headlock have at er. It lives in the basement, guests are not allowed downstairs alone.
    As said, cats out in daylight up to no good...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Been watching a bobcat at work for the last two days. He's chasing ducks around a pond. Doesn't look too dangerous to me. Second one in the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    I can count on one hand how many wild cats I've seen in the daylight. Logged a few miles in the woods. Those that have seen them, and I'm not talking running em with dogs, have had do dispatch them as they were gonna get pounced on. Talking cougar mind you, but a sick cougar on VI isn't much heavier that a lynx/bobcat.
    We 'tried' to domesticate a feral house cat. Anyone wants to come by and try to get it in a headlock have at er. It lives in the basement, guests are not allowed downstairs alone.
    As said, cats out in daylight up to no good...

I live and log in the burns lake area seen at least 20 Lynx in daylight hours working/playing in the bush since spring. Not that uncommon to see Lynx around here especially south of Huston. Seen more here in 1 year than I have seen in the rest of BC combined though

I see little reason to fear them

Go pet it then

Watched dozens of grizzlies in my time
    One steps on my property it's a different ball game
    You're confusing a wild animal in the wild with a wild animal showing no fear of humans' near a residence.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Go pet it then
    I have not pet them but called a few within 15ft doing squeaks with my hand lol. Unfortunately all I see is family groups when they are open and have a tag

I have never experienced an aggressive Lynx curious or run like hell yes. If a guy is not comfortable with them on his property fine deal with it just make use of it and do it legal

All wild animals can be dangerous but I would put Lynx low risk. I would worry more about moose especially a cow/calf.